It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University student disciplined after saying veganism is wrong and gender fluidity is stupid

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2024 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: BedevereTheWise

originally posted by: Consvoli

a reply to: BedevereTheWise

What is your opinion on what the student said and how the university responded.

My opinion is we have only heard one side of the story.

The event happened 6 years ago and it's only now he has decided to take it to a news paper. It's also clear from even his version that it isnt as straightforward as the headline makes out.

What is wrong with saying gender fluidity is stupid or veganism is nonsense. And I meant publicly and not as part of a private phone conversation.

How this story could be different in your view.

The story is he was disciplined for saying those things.

We only have his version that is what happened.

Let's say it's correct.
There are many other stories similar to this one. Expressing your views gets you fired or disciplined.

And the majority are similarly one sided version.

Legally employers or educational establishments would be very shakey ground providing any details of
disciplinary action.

If he was disciplined for saying those things on a private call I would say that is completely wrong. I am also sceptical that is what actually happened.

Are you saying all these real events where people are getting disciplined or even fired are one sided stories?

I mean we can make one thread after another on these issues but there is no need to. One thing common is these are not one sided stories and that's why they have caused a lot of reaction and outrage.
edit on 24-4-2024 by Consvoli because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2024 @ 07:25 AM
link   

a reply to: BedevereTheWise

What is your opinion on what the student said and how the university responded.

My opinion is we have only heard one side of the story.

The event happened 6 years ago and it's only now he has decided to take it to a news paper. It's also clear from even his version that it isnt as straightforward as the headline makes out.

What is wrong with saying gender fluidity is stupid or veganism is nonsense. And I meant publicly and not as part of a private phone conversation.

How this story could be different in your view.

The story is he was disciplined for saying those things.

We only have his version that is what happened.

Let's say it's correct.
There are many other stories similar to this one. Expressing your views gets you fired or disciplined.

And the majority are similarly one sided version.

Legally employers or educational establishments would be very shakey ground providing any details of
disciplinary action.

If he was disciplined for saying those things on a private call I would say that is completely wrong. I am also sceptical that is what actually happened.

Are you saying all these real events where people are getting disciplined or even fired are one sided stories?

I mean we can make one thread after another on these issues but there is no need to. One thing common is these are not one sided stories and that's why the have caused a lot of reaction and outrage.

In many cases yes very one sided for reasons given.

posted on Apr, 24 2024 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

originally posted by: BasicResearchMethods
a reply to: Consvoli

Four words advise caution: Telegraph, Mail, reportedly, claimed.

Four more words: outrage, bait, traffic, revenue

Is the Telegraph telling lies or some unpleasant truth

Am I telling lies or some unpleasant truth? Those four words are more common every day. Telegraph or not.

He was never going to get a job with that philosophy degree regardless. Now he's forced to reconsider his career options and do something smart with his money.

You want to start another conversation on the career prospects of this guy trying to justify what the university threaten to do?

It doesn't look like he was expelled.

The story looks genuine and it's one of the many you can find everywhere. Twenty years ago you wouldn't be able to find a similar story because the world was more rational.

No, I don't. I want to let my remarks stand as they are. Philosophy degree is toilet paper, without freedom of speech it's used toilet paper, and this student has just been smacked with that fact. For lack of overturning university policy (we'll see how that pans out) he has plenty of other economically relevant options to choose from, unless he's looking for DEI handouts to pay his bills. Oops, he's white. Oops, he's heteronormative. Oops, he doesn't qualify for ANY preferential treatment. Guess it's off to trade school. In the end he will be MUCH happier for it.

edit on 24-4-2024 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2024 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: BasicResearchMethods

Four words advise caution: Telegraph, Mail, reportedly, claimed.

Four more words: outrage, bait, traffic, revenue

Is the Telegraph telling lies or some unpleasant truth

Am I telling lies or some unpleasant truth? Those four words are more common every day. Telegraph or not.

He was never going to get a job with that philosophy degree regardless. Now he's forced to reconsider his career options and do something smart with his money.

You want to start another conversation on the career prospects of this guy trying to justify what the university threaten to do?

It doesn't look like he was expelled.

The story looks genuine and it's one of the many you can find everywhere. Twenty years ago you wouldn't be able to find a similar story because the world was more rational.

No, I don't. I want to let my remarks stand as they are. Philosophy degree is toilet paper, without freedom of speech it's used toilet paper, and this student has just been smacked with that fact. For lack of overturning university policy (we'll see how that pans out) he has plenty of other economically relevant options to choose from, unless he's looking for DEI handouts to pay his bills. Oops, he's white. Oops, he's heteronormative. Oops, he doesn't qualify for ANY preferential treatment. Guess it's off to trade school. In the end he will be MUCH happier for it.

It doesn't matter if the philosophy degree doesn't worth in your eyes.

Do you justify what the university did?

I am not interested in the quality of his degree or his career prospects.

posted on Apr, 24 2024 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

hey,... the kids at google just lost their jobs,
started police investigation and maybe even lose their homes
for being antiseptic, and have peaceful protests that dont burn down
the whole town, or takeover half of portland

SO IT APPEARS they do not respect the weak unarmed people
edit on 24-4-2024 by confuzedcitizen because: fixed spellimg

posted on Apr, 24 2024 @ 08:40 AM
link   

It confirms my theory that university is, by and large, a complete waste of money unless you want to be a lawyer, engineer or doctor.

You don't have to respond if you're not interested in my remarks or POV.

edit on 24-4-2024 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2024 @ 10:50 AM
link   

It confirms my theory that university is, by and large, a complete waste of money unless you want to be a lawyer, engineer or doctor.

I'm a current university student. Decided to give it a shot after I retired from the Air Force and I've got the GI Bill. I've taken classes from 3 different universities and I'm in a STEM field.

It's a joke. My high school classes were harder back in the day. Maybe graduate school is harder, but for an undergrad degree, they might as well just sell it to you outright and save you the 4 years. You're not really required to learn much, especially if you go online (I've done both online and in person--in person is marginally better.) The standards have been dumbed down so anyone can get a bachelors, which makes it worthless. There's a reason a lot of employers want to see a masters.

It's definitely not worth anywhere near what they charge for it. It's bordering on being a criminally defective product and should maybe be subject to price gouging laws. Tuition has gone up something like 3x faster than inflation the last few decades, and the value of a degree has actually gone down in that time. It's insanity.

These young people, instead of begging the government to "forgive" (transfer) their student loan debt, should be looking at going after these universities for these predatory practices.

A massive class action lawsuit might be in order.
edit on 24-4-2024 by YourFaceAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2024 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Some courses may not worth the money you have to pay to study them. I don't disagree with this, but the university should have never intervened in this manner to discipline a student who go said veganism is wrong and gender theory stupid.

posted on Apr, 25 2024 @ 08:10 AM
link   

www.telegraph.co.uk...

University of Exeter reportedly threatened to expel a philosophy student after he was overheard in his room saying veganism is wrong and gender fluidity is “stupid”.

Robert Ivinson claimed he was formally disciplined after a student next door in his halls of residence reported his comments as offensive and “transphobic”.

Mr Ivinson told the Mail on Sunday newspaper that he was hauled before university officials and put on a “behavioural contract” for the remainder of his studies over remarks made during a private phone call to a friend.

These stories can't get any better!

Having a private conversation over the phone it's a risky business because if you are unlucky and someone hears what you are saying then you could be disciplined by the University you are attending or even expelled from your studies because you don't have the 'correct' views.

People are getting offended when you say you don't agree with veganism and there are only two genders.

Telegraph is an alarmist, hyper-partisan fluff mag. This is either completely made up or there are some major holes in the story. Its sad I have to tell an adult not to believe everything that you read in a british tabloid.

posted on Apr, 25 2024 @ 01:04 PM
link   
So he was disciplined for speaking the truth?

At a place of learning, no less!

Are we in 1984!?

posted on Apr, 25 2024 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: watchitburn

That sounds about right for the UK.

Because nothing like that ever happens in the US or anywhere else.....

Some of those US universities have got the woke far, far worse than anything we've seen this side of the pond.

Won't even begin to defend our judicial system and the ludicrous sentences passed out to nonces etc.

We're just as bad.

We're swat raiding people's homes at 4am for praying silently in front of abortion clinics, making their pregnant wives stand outside in 9 degree weather until they miscarry.

Trying to send people to prison for 10 years for posting memes and jokes.

We let communists take control of the gears of justice and now they're doing commie sh!t.

Sad state of affairs all around.
edit on 25-4-2024 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join