It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multipal Solar Storms Coming Our Way This Weekend

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Sadly it's going to be clouded over here in Anchorage.
They may be intense tonight and tomorrow with the rare red ones.

The alert is for a KP Index of 8 to 9 on a scale of 1 to 9. People in the lower 48 should look up as I read there will be a lot of clear skies down that way, weatherwise.

From what I'm reading it would be a good bet to expect things like radio interference, GPS not working and electronics acting up. Fingers crossed.

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I have a few links relating to Solar activity and the Earth's geomagnetic field, you can find tons of info and other neat stuff:

Spaceweather dot com (All new info about solar, geomagnetic, and atmospheric activity, updated daily)

SWPC dot com (Space Weather Prediction Center website, real-time info on our geomagnetic field, updated by the minute)

SWPC Movies (3 different videos showing how our geomagnetic field is reacting to the current solar wind stream - videos are of the solar wind 1) Velocity and 2) Density, and 3) the amount of pressure exerted on Earth's magnetosphere and atmosphere by the solar wind)

I just checked the 2nd link, and we are currently getting absolutely blasted - we are at a level 5/5 geomagnetic storm, that is absolutely insane! Level 4 is Severe, I think level 5 is "Extreme". I've been watching this exact kind of information on a daily or weekly basis without fail since 1991, and I've never seen it. Totally wild!

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I see the severity has been bumped from G4 to the max of G5

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: MemeWithNoN4me

NASA are taking it very seriously. The magnetic field is weak, and apparently it has been doing a spin around its axis, not only is weakening and moving it is wobbling as well. This guy says six X class flares this weekend. a decade ago he would have said enjoy it and watch the aurora, but the protective shield is considerably weakened. Even Alex Jones shows concern as he interviews the guy from the NASA... www.bitchute.com...
edit on pm520245America/Chicago531593124 by annonentity because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I’m at about 53’ N so it’s fairly common to see them here, still, this could be quite the show.

I remember about ten years ago while camping I saw them like I never expect to see them again.

The WHOLE sky, overhead, and even to the south was full of what I can only describe as multicoloured old fashioned church organ tubes.

There was a dark spot at the top of the sky and the lights would ebb and flow towards the dark spot. When they connected from time to time all the organ tubes flashed brighter.

It’s an amazing thing to see, even the regular variety.

Good luck with your viewing and have a reclining lawn chair or a blanket handy so you can lay back and enjoy.

My neck was in much pain from looking up for three hours.

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: texas thinker
I see the severity has been bumped from G4 to the max of G5

Yeah, I saw that too. We went out to see if we could see it...cloudy here in the UP of Michigan with light misty drizzle. All we could see was that the clouds are way brighter than they should be and are pulsing a bit for this time of night, it is midnight and we were out checking it out half an hour ago. We looked north, no cities out over lake superior to do that kind of cloud illumination. Good thing though, those clouds buffer the energy so less chances of overloading of the electric grid. But there are dead times in some of the sites on the net, probably auto shutdown from areas that are not cloudy or something or just satellite links being disrupted.

I wish we could see more, but then again it could mess up our electricity if we could here. I suppose what I am considering bad could in essence be good.

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Looks like Alex Jones has put out a warning saying it will be the biggest hammering since the Carrington event.
www.bitchute.com...

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Hopefully the skies clear up there in the next few days! It's partly cloudy down here in the Panhandle so I might be able to see some of it.

Every time we get cme's I keep hearing ED Dames and the Killshot...

Dunno if anyone remembers all of that...

posted on May, 10 2024 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: annonentity

It certainly is a concern for legacy satellites that have not been EMI hardened, like most of newer tech satellites are.

Some of the newer satellites can also lower or turn their solar arrays and other antennae edge-on to the direction of the solar energy so they reduce the surface area of the structure avoiding a direct head-on exposure.

None the less... we know that we are most likely due for a major storm from the Sun.
Let's hope it passes in beauty without damage.

edit on 10-5-2024 by charlyv because: sp

edit on 10-5-2024 by charlyv because: sp

posted on May, 11 2024 @ 12:03 AM
link   
*stares out the window at the sunlight at 9 pm*

Strongest storm in 4 years up in central alaska... so annoyed right now.

posted on May, 11 2024 @ 12:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Clear here, stars out and the Aurora is starting to show.

Unfortunately I’m in the city.

I don’t think you’d see anything yet if you’re south of the 49th. I hope it clears up for you in case it ramps up.

posted on May, 11 2024 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Add another to the list. This won't be over until atleast Monday or Tuesday now.

Region 3664, which erupted twice this week with an X1 and an X3 and is causing the storm we are now witnessing on Earth, 3 hours ago let loose an X5.

Hunker down folks.

posted on May, 11 2024 @ 05:39 AM
link   
The Northern Lights were clearly visible last night in East Tennessee. That’s a first for me.

posted on May, 11 2024 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Got up at 2am and looked outside. Totally clouded over.

I'm seeing reports this morning that they were seen all over the country, even as far south as Key Largo Florida. Lots of pictures on the internet from everywhere .... but not here, of course. CLOUDS! UGH!

posted on May, 11 2024 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: YourFaceAgain
Our power grid is mostly protected against events like this. Could provide a nice light show though. Auroras should be visible further south than they usually are. The map I saw yesterday said it might be visible in Pennsylvania, where I live. Unfortunately it's gonna be cloudy. I've seen the aurora plenty of times though when I was stationed in Alaska.

Nope.

Severe space weather can jeopardize power grids, according to NOAA, whose alert this week said to expect “possible widespread voltage control problems” and that “some protective systems may mistakenly trip out key assets from the power grid.”16 hours ago

There is not much of anything that we humans can do to prevent solar storms or even shield our planet from their effects. However, with enough warning, power grids and computer equipment could be shut down and protected from the worst effects of an event, only powered back up once the storm has passed. Sep 5, 2023

Quebec got hit in 1989 and lost power for up to 9 hours.

edit on th31202400000031bSat, 11 May 2024 11:09:38 -05002024000000x by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2024 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

I went outside at 9pm in SW Indiana, and it started! Didn't think we could see it here but I guess they upgraded the magnitude. Have only seen it once before in my life and only lasted a few minutes, but this lasted an hour almost (for here...) I was in total awe and kept wanting to go in and watch The Core!

Got a few pictures with just my I Phone, but even with the city lights they turned out good for what I could see.

posted on May, 11 2024 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: TruthJava
Nice pics!
I am in Wales UK and some of my pics looked pretty similar to the colors in yours.

The odd thing for me was that I couldn't see the colors with my eyes-but when I held my camera up I could see wild colors through the screen,

All i could see with my vision was the shape of the rays/ribbons-but they just looked the same greyish color as how regular clouds look at night.
Maybe light pollution IDK

I was amazed that if you took a load of quick shots,the colors would change in just seconds..Magnetic magic!

posted on May, 11 2024 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I had just said something about fearing the event it reaches as far south as me. Joking we'd be pretty f*cked if that ever happened. Then I walked somewhere around 10:30 PM.

Slight aurora seen through both light pollution and marine layer of San Diego, which is amazing it was that strong.

Take away the light pollution and coastal cloud layer and it looked like this, as seen from Campo, CA (picture from Reddit), which in right on The US/Mexico border.

Supposed to happen again tonight. Possibly stronger.

Those is really cool, but also unnerving, I really don't want a technological apocalypse. It would be total breakdown of sanity.
edit on 11-5-2024 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2024 @ 02:13 PM
link   
There was a tornado is western australia, Intermittent heavy rain from Airlie beach down to Botony bay over the last three days that I’ve seen.

Including a blackout inner western Sydney Friday night.

a reply to: charlest2

Almost worth going to Tasmania to watch for the Aurora

posted on May, 11 2024 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthJava

Great photos for a phone. I'm jealous.

I've never seen them that intense from here in Anchorage. It's so often cloudy here. Not as bad as living in the Seattle area where you can go months without a clear sky, but still not many clear nights here.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join