It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien language: If we met extraterrestrials, could we talk to them?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: IndieA
Another example is, a horse that's being ridden, understands kicks and directional pulls to it's reigns.

ONLY after training, and it's primarily for CONTROL not two way communication.

Truly Intelligent life cannot be trained for control by another. It is intelligent and independant.

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone
a reply to: Ophiuchus1

They have already sent a clear message to us by showing us they can turn off every countries nuclear war machine?

Allegedly, and it was not "every" country.

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Use emoji šŸ¤›šŸ½šŸ‘‰šŸ¤˜šŸ½šŸ’ŖšŸ»šŸ™šŸ¤ŒšŸ¼šŸ’ŖšŸ» šŸ–•

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Maths and physics would be the best bet - can't travel through time and space without a thorough understanding of euclidean and non-euclidean geometry, mersenne primes, planck constants, ordinary differential equations, complex/imaginary numbers, scalar, vectors and tensors - while the integers used may vary the equations would all be the same and form a rosseta stone.

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: nerbot

They have already sent a clear message to us by showing us they can turn off every countries nuclear war machine?

Allegedly, and it was not "every" country.

I said they showed us they could, not that they did. Allegedly? Are we still not believing U.S. Air Force personnel?

The Daily Mail claims that former U.S. Air Force personnel have testified that UFOs interfered with nukes in the 1960s. The officers reportedly recently told the governmentā€™s All-domain Anomaly Resolution Office (AARO) that they had bizarre encounters with the objects near U.S. military bases.

www.popularmechanics.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 08:04 AM
link   

I said they showed us they could, not that they did. Allegedly? Are we still not believing U.S. Air Force personnel?

Pics or it didn't happen comes to mind.

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Maybe they don't have mouths.

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Talking is a primitive tool. Asking if we could communicate with e.t. is like ants asking each other what type of dirt humans think is best for a human mound. It simply does not apply because our habitats are completely different and our functions are based on our physiological makeup.
edit on 16-1-2024 by MikeDeGrasseTyson because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Hahahah! There have ALWAYS been aliens on Earth! However, like you, we have human bodies and live our lives.

There is life outside the Earth, but we cannot see it because we are separated by a special dome...

If I'm even allowed to talk about it here.

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Itā€™s human to read all the varying inputs, with speculations, on what communication with aliens would, or would not be likeā€¦..from the lowest form of earthly known communications to the highest form of earthly known communications.

I guess we will knowā€¦ā€¦..if and when the time comes for the general populous of earths societies to meet and greet an unknown intelligence whether peacefully or adversarially.

I have a box turtle and tank with fish that I talk to with casual greetingsā€¦ā€¦and every morning they communicate to me by their physical movements ā€¦that they are hungry and want to be fedā€¦.when they are not hungry they wonā€™t pay attention to me, they ignore me.

Whoā€™s the intelligent oneā€¦.if Iā€™m the one feeling like Iā€™m being used.

I would say, we have a formed an established communication systemā€¦..I wouldnā€™t call it, establishing a behavior.

So how we communicate with aliens remains to be seenā€¦.at least for the general population.

Itā€™s been a good read so far.

Thx

šŸ‘½

edit on 16-1-2024 by Ophiuchus1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 09:13 AM
link   

My daughter's gold fish and I have our rituals. When it sees me approach the tank, it will come close to the tank glass and remain in one spot looking at me and I will do a fish dance of sorts imitating it's wavy fin-like movements. That is our communication.

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: bastion
Maths and physics would be the best bet - can't travel through time and space without a thorough understanding of euclidean and non-euclidean geometry, mersenne primes, planck constants, ordinary differential equations, complex/imaginary numbers, scalar, vectors and tensors - while the integers used may vary the equations would all be the same and form a rosseta stone.

I agree. In fact, it reminds me of my Greek maths teacher in secondary school, who could hardly speak English, kept a bottle of Ouzo in his desk and threw whiteboard markers at us for being dumb. However, he was the best teacher I ever had.

In one class, he was trying to teach us trigonometry and the first port-of-call was Pythagoras. At the end of the lesson he advised us that if we can only remember one thing of his teaching, it is that theoremā€¦ He said that if we were ever to confront aliens, drawing that theorem would show them we are not as stupid as we look.

Food for thoughtā€¦

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Encia22

originally posted by: bastion

I agree. In fact, it reminds me of my Greek maths teacher in secondary school, who could hardly speak English, kept a bottle of Ouzo in his desk and threw whiteboard markers at us for being dumb. However, he was the best teacher I ever had.

In one class, he was trying to teach us trigonometry and the first port-of-call was Pythagoras. At the end of the lesson he advised us that if we can only remember one thing of his teaching, it is that theoremā€¦ He said that if we were ever to confront aliens, drawing that theorem would show them we are not as stupid as we look.

Food for thoughtā€¦

How many of us have retained those math lessons/skills? Nope we need a better idea. How about connecting our brains via electrodes to AI so AI can do the math for us?
edit on q00000025131America/Chicago0000America/Chicago1 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agleaya

Hahahah! There have ALWAYS been aliens on Earth! However, like you, we have human bodies and live our lives.

There is life outside the Earth, but we cannot see it because we are separated by a special dome...

If I'm even allowed to talk about it here.

Everyone is free to invite ridicule here.

If we are flat with a dome, by the logic of flat earthers we must be the centre of the universe because all other round celestial bodies must be pointing at us to be viewed only as round. And what about the rotation of other planets we can see? CGI yes?

Good luck with you lack of perspective.

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 09:36 AM
link   

How about connecting our brains via electrodes to AI so AI can do the math for us?

They're called mobile phones.

Autofill does the thinking for many too. GOOGLE ("googoo"/baby speak) is your new GOD.

And A.I. is dependant on imput not output, the same as humans. Intelligence is relative, not independant.
edit on 16/1/2024 by nerbot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: nerbot

How about connecting our brains via electrodes to AI so AI can do the math for us?

They're called mobile phones.

Autofill does the thinking for many too. GOOGLE ("googoo"/baby speak) is your new GOD.

And A.I. is dependant on imput not output, the same as humans. Intelligence is relative, not independant.

Actually, an astrophysicist is on it as we type.

A transmission of the digits of pi, for instance, would now carry a ā€“1 slope. So instead of searching for technosignatures, the technologically-generated signals that could mark other advanced extraterrestrial civilizations, some researchers think that SETI should be specifically looking for signals with a ā€“1 slope, regardless of whether they appear artificial or not, and the machine-learning algorithms that carefully sift through every scrap of data collected by radio telescopes could be configured to analyze each potential signal to determine whether a signal adheres to Zipf's Law.

Beyond that, alien communication could have a higher Shannon entropy than human language, and if it is much higher, it might make their language too difficult for humans to grasp.

But perhaps not for AI. Already, AI is being put to the test trying to understand communication from a non-human species. If it can pass that test, perhaps AI will be ready to tackle any alien messages in the future.

www.space.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 04:17 PM
link   
OMG. Any sufficiently advanced race capable of reaching us from within even our own galaxy would likely not be entirely biological by now. Most likely they would have sampled most, if not all of our radio broadcasts, TV etc and analysed them. Their own AIā€™s, or whatever, would be well in advance of ours and I would imagine they will be able to communicate seamlessly - should they actually consider us worth their time in the first place.

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: nerbot

What? I didn't say the earth is flat!

I was talking about the Van Allen Belt, lol.

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agleaya
a reply to: nerbot

What? I didn't say the earth is flat!

I was talking about the Van Allen Belt, lol.

Then you should be clearer to avoid confusion.

And btw, the Van Allen belt isn't a "dome" it's a "torus".

posted on Jan, 16 2024 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ARM19688
Their own AIā€™s, or whatever, would be well in advance of ours and I would imagine they will be able to communicate seamlessly - should they actually consider us worth their time in the first place.

Maybe they ignore us because they spoke to the other animals already, and they told the truth about how Meglomanic and destructive we are.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join