It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Blood Test For Alzheimers Available in 2024

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2023 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Considering how common Alzheimers and other cognitive problems are for older adults, this should be very interesting to everyone. A new blood test for Alzheimers should be available in 2024. Seems to be very accurate and even comes up positive for people who don't have full on Alzheimers but that are within five years of developing it. No talk about the cost of the blood test. I'm sure it's expensive, all new medical tests and drugs are.

Early detection and accurate detection ... that leads to treatments that can slow down progression. It's not a cure, but it's helpful for managing the disease.

New Blood Test For Alzheimers Available in 2024

Could a simple blood test detect Alzheimer’s disease years before symptoms appear? New research from Resonant, a Utah biotech company that develops diagnostic tests for neurodegenerative diseases, suggests it may be possible. Researchers said its new test achieved 100% accuracy in identifying patients with Alzheimer's disease and individuals with mild cognitive impairment (MCI) who went on to develop Alzheimer's disease within five years.

The blood test works by detecting the presence of DNA released from the brain’s neurons, or nerve cells, when they die, according to lead researcher Chad Pollard, a doctorate student and research assistant at Brigham Young University.

"All cells, to some degree, release fragments of DNA called cell-free DNA (cfDNA) into their environment," Pollard, who is also a co-founder of Resonant, told Fox News Digital in an email.

"Under normal, healthy conditions, cfDNA from neurons is undetectable in blood circulation, but during neurodegeneration, the amount of cfDNA that is released from these cells significantly increases and can be detected in the blood."

posted on Dec, 5 2023 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I’m sure insurance won’t cover it. Meanwhile, every out of touch rich celebrity will be “urging” every citizen to get it. I’m sorry for being a cynic, it’s hard. This is hopeful news though.

posted on Dec, 5 2023 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManSizedSquirrel
This is hopeful news though.

It sounds really great. A good tool for doctors and patients to use.
Helpful. Early detection means it can be treated and slowed.
Sure wish there was a cure though.
Alzheimers is a really bad one to deal with.

posted on Dec, 5 2023 @ 02:38 PM
link   
“ Early detection means it can be treated and slowed."
bull early detection will mean they can use the test to take away your rights. driving and gun ownership rights among others.
The treatments only work on few and are very problematic in their effects.
Been through this with my father and it's better just to let Alzheimer's run its course.

posted on Dec, 5 2023 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: anned1
bull early detection will mean they can use the test to take away your rights. driving and gun ownership rights among others..

Gun ownership? Really? How can they do that? If someone owns a gun they own it. No license or permit needed to own one. How do they take gun ownership? I admit that someone with Alzheimers shouldn't own one and should give their gun to family .. pass it down. But how do they TAKE a gun away ???

posted on Dec, 5 2023 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Red Flag laws. Many states have them and family members and police can petition the courts to seize a person's weapons, the seizure can last indefinitely in many cases.

It isn't enacted often but it does happen. A good article here:

www.pbs.org...

I like that there is a blood test and I would like to take it if I can afford it. If nothing else, it will help me decide if when I retire, I should wander off into the sunset or the nearest nursing home lol.

ETA: It isn't covered by insurance because the FDA hasn't approved them.

Cost is always an important factor in any medical decision. Unfortunately, this is a drawback of non-invasive Alzheimer’s blood tests. Currently, none of the tests available in the United States are approved by the FDA. This significantly impacts the cost to the consumer because private and government health insurance will not cover the cost of medications, tests, or medical devices that are not FDA-approved. Because of this, blood tests for Alzheimer’s become an out-of-pocket expense. To be clear, Medicare and the vast majority of private insurance plans will not cover the cost of these Alzheimer’s tests.

On the market, there are three blood tests for Alzheimer’s. Their costs vary depending on their maker. As of September 2023, they are:
– Preclivity AD Test from C2N Diagnostics costs $1,200.
– Quest AD- Detect from Quest Diagnostics costs $400.
– Simoa p-Tau181 Test by Quanterix costs $1250.

www.dementiacarecentral.com...#:~:text=Currently%20Available%20Alzheimer's%20Blood%20Tests,trying%20to%20seek%20FDA%20appr oval.

edit on th31202300000031bTue, 05 Dec 2023 19:59:40 -06002023000000x by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2023 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I just hope it doesn't go in the direction of ADHD or Autism where they have such a wide spectrum that everyone is affected.

posted on Dec, 5 2023 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

In the UK they are using a blood test for Dementia that is not fit for purpose , the person who was tasked with coming up woth this test instantly realised that it was not sutable for this and tried to rescind it and was told to sit down and shut up , the government had paid for the test and would do what it wanted with it .

There is talk that the massive numbers of people who are testing positive may have BSE from tainted meat products as the conditions mimic each other .

But good luck trying to get a blood test in the UK , I waited 1.5 years for a D-dimer test as are others and one time years ago it took me 2 years with doctors to get a blood test to confirm I had www.nhlbi.nih.gov...#:~:text=Alpha-1%20antitrypsin%20%28AAT%29%20deficiency%20is%20a%20condition%20that,fro m%20smoking%2C%20pollution%2C%20or%20dust%20from%20the%20environment.

new topics

top topics

join