It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Certain migraine medications may be more effective than ibuprofen

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2023 @ 11:05 PM
link   
For over fifty years I had all kinds of headaches, some from Tyramines, some from migraines, and some from sinus problems. Some were from aldehydes too, which was related to my hangovers when I had more than two beers. I would have probably eight to ten days a month of headaches total every month. I was used to them, they were just part of my life.

I now rarely have headaches, maybe one lasting hours in the morning till I get my coffee on occasion.

What changed? I made a lot of changes in my diet to control my epilepsy, lowered my tyramine consumption down to a far lower amount, and I quit drinking alcohol pretty much totally. I started taking a mineral supplement and that helped a lot, so researched it and it was most probably the molybdenum that helped to create a co=enzyme that lowered some of the headache risk...then had my genetics done and got a gene app....one of the first things I checked was for molybdenum cofactor deficiency and it was pretty evident I made little of that. I have taken sodium or amonium molybdate in a supplement ever since, and that helped with two of the types of headaches which are often considered migraines. Diet changes to control my epilepsy got rid of most of the other. A teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, a little bit of sugar, and half cup of water mixed after eating popcorn or other foods I have been trying to properly identify takes care of that type. A proteinase...I use bromelaine 500 mg...can keep me or take away a milk or milk related headache. I can also eat a grapefruit after eating ice cream or just a little fresh pineapple pieces and the headache goes away faster than an aspirin can take effect.

It seems weird not to have like eight days of headaches a month, it seems unnatural for me. I was told about the cheese headaches already when I was young, and researched that back in the late sixties at the library in medical journals. but I liked cheese and restricting it to some cheaper cheeses to avoid those headaches was hard, that aziago and good tasty real cheese is so tasty. Then there was the beer, I was a teenager...Also tyramine chemistry, anything aged including sour Kraut and pizzas.

The sinus headaches went away when I learned to take the bromelaine or grapefruit with it's active proteinase enzymes. The headaches from upcoming thunderstorms have also gone away...I haven't got a clue why those quit...but who cares...they quit.

What caused this reduction of headaches to almost nothing? Not sure, so many changes could have caused the majority of them to disappear. I am glad they are gone, it was almost a quarter of my life I spent with headaches from age five...the earliest I remember...to age fifty five when I implemented the changes. I wish I would have initially kept better observations of what caused the declines so I could help people but I did not in the beginning, it took me a couple of months before I comprehended the drastic reduction of headaches.

posted on Nov, 29 2023 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Best drugs are, Ergot and Sumatriptan.

posted on Nov, 30 2023 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

damn, what i am reading in this thread is truly amazing to me. i am so happy for you that you have found some relief from this very complicated and complex malady.

posted on Nov, 30 2023 @ 01:54 AM
link   
a reply to: midicon

Both my mother and I were prescribed sumatriptan.

It failed to work for both of us.

Genetics.

posted on Nov, 30 2023 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Medical advise on ATS be like, everything you read don't try this at home!!!!

posted on Nov, 30 2023 @ 03:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES
a reply to: midicon

Both my mother and I were prescribed sumatriptan.

It failed to work for both of us.

Genetics.

I used Ergot via an inhaler which was very effective. It was then banned here in the UK and I was put on Sumatriptan at first with an EpiPen then with a nasal inhaler. Sumatriptan was not so effevtive but did help somewhat.

Having said all that, I suffered from cluster headaches.

posted on Nov, 30 2023 @ 05:27 AM
link   
SPAM

edit on 11/30/2023 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2023 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Mom had migraines that incapacitating, and I seem to have inherited them from her. For years nothing worked for me except Excedrin, and that didn't always work because nausea often prevents me from keeping pills down.

Then tried Sumatriptan, worked better than Excedrin, but had the same problem of often not being able to keep the pills down during the worst headaches. For the past few years I've bee using Sumatriptan nasal inhalers, they work great but there have been a few times when I have to take 2 inhalers (spaced apart) to get the pain/nausea to subside.

I should also mention that I have found that bottled Mexican Coke seems to help for mild headaches, coffee, not so much.

*always consult a quack before taking any pharmaceuticals
edit on 1212023 by seattlerat because: mai spilling sugs

posted on Dec, 24 2023 @ 01:38 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 24 2023 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I used to get cluster headaches, sorta like migraines without the light show.

Nothing would even touch them, tried codeine, ergot all sorts of crazy stuff. then one day my doc prescribed 1000mg paracetamol with an anti emetic. Killed them stone dead every time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join