It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I can't figure this computer out... I'm lost.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2022 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Jeremiah33three

This will require bios access: The quick fix: disable Fast Startup

www.pcgamer.com...

posted on Aug, 29 2022 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jeremiah33three
a reply to: xuenchen

I'd love to try that, but it's a laptop.

Oh I get it now 😉

posted on Aug, 29 2022 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Yeah, I tried all that, but I should check the cable I suppose.

posted on Aug, 29 2022 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: romilo

Yeah, I tried that too.

posted on Aug, 29 2022 @ 06:34 PM
link   

It's a hardware issue. Some tiny part is broken.

posted on Aug, 29 2022 @ 06:49 PM
link   

If i'm understanding right.... you're trying to boot from the hard drive that you've removed from one computer that's working and connected it to another computer and now it's not booting?

If this is the case, it probably won't work.

My understanding is when you install Windows the necessary files installed are for that particular computer that you install too.

You'd have to format the drive and re-install windows for that particular machine. (one boot drive for one computer)

If you try to just swap the drive it'll more than likely give you the BSOD.

If it helps, great stuff. If not then you've probably got a buggered bit somewhere.

Regards

posted on Aug, 29 2022 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: MCurns

That was just a test to see if the os was corrupted of if it's the computer itself. It's the computer, not software.

posted on Aug, 29 2022 @ 08:14 PM
link   

a reply to: MCurns

That was just a test to see if the os was corrupted of if it's the computer itself. It's the computer, not software.

Have you tried windows memory test or memtest ?
I know , that takes forever.....

Since it is a laptop , does the drive slide into a connector , or have a ZIF cable that connects it to the system board ?
Have you tried reseating the memory ? (make sure to unplug the power and remove the battery before doing anything hardware wise . ALWAYS)
And ONLY if you know what you are doing .

Ya bump a laptop, and the memory gets loose. That's what it does .

Like another poster stated, turn OFF fast boot in BIOS and Windows too . The problems it can cause is not worth the 3 seconds gained .
edit on 8/29/22 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2022 @ 08:46 PM
link   

That's interesting, the charger that was used for about a year was the wrong current but it worked.

This is where I ride off into the sunset .

posted on Aug, 29 2022 @ 09:37 PM
link   

I suggest you head on over to the bleeping computer forums. You might be able to give them a crash dump and they can help pinpoint the issue.

posted on Aug, 30 2022 @ 04:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I've actually moved the single ram card from one slot to another, and yeah its a zif but I've unplugged it on both ends multiple times between hdd swaps for testing of it was hardware or software related.

posted on Aug, 30 2022 @ 01:18 PM
link   

since it's a laptop... and I'm not as sleep deprived as I was...

can it boot to a Linux usb drive.
if you don't already have one, whip up a Tails drive. it has enough linux along with TOR to fix minor stuff.

posted on Aug, 30 2022 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: RealDealer

That was about the fifth thing I tried, and it would not load it.

posted on Aug, 30 2022 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Software errors, when they happen, are usually the same and happen under the same conditions each time. However, hardware issues can occur at any time or execution state.

I would think that the variety of errors pretty much indicates hardware as the culprit.

You mentioned a NVIDIA card. If it is an upmarket one, their power requirements can be quite high and can also cause other components to 'glitch' at random. You could try swapping out the video card if possible and seeing if the default chipset video has the same issues.

Also, the fact that the errors are occurring early in the boot sequence probably also exonerates most of the software/OS as being the culprit.

I would also remove any peripheral hardware that isn't essential to operation and re-introduce them one at a time, to see if you can pin down where the error is coming from.

But I strongly suspect power/video as the cause, especially as I have now read all the posts. Because it is battery backed up, an insufficient power supply will start out 'occasionally failing', and then as battery charge worsens, the errors will become more frequent and earlier in boot time.

Get the right power adapter for the unit, leave it on charge, but not started/running for some hours, and see if that resolves the issues (you may have to cycle the battery a few times if it has been deep discharging for too many times). Also, you may have introduced file system errors with all the failures. If it wants to do a check on the drive on startup, allow it to continue and complete. Even this might leave the OS in an odd state. If there are still strange things happening, then reinstalling Windows is an option.

edit on 30/8/2022 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2022 @ 06:12 PM
link   

That's interesting, the charger that was used for about a year was the wrong current but it worked.

Wrong current but lower or higher than it should be?

Using a charger that can supply a higher current doesn't affect a thing.

A charger that supplies a lower current may cause problems when in use (mostly to the charger itself), but it should not affect any of the computer's hardware.

PS: Can you use memory from other computer on the problem computer? That could clear (or not) it being a memory problem, although I'm more inclined to a motherboard problem.

posted on Aug, 31 2022 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Using a charger that can supply a higher current doesn't affect a thing. A charger that supplies a lower current may cause problems when in use (mostly to the charger itself), but it should not affect any of the computer's hardware.

#1 mistake when it comes to laptops . I can still here it now : But , but , but it fit and worked .....
Laptops do not have the VRMs or VRDs like desktop system boards . They have a power module , card , etc. (Not enough room for the VRM/VRDs)

edit on 8/31/22 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2022 @ 03:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Yeah, it was lower. An old cheep laptop charger on a gaming computer.

posted on Aug, 31 2022 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Google is your friend!! (Whatcha think all the techies do when they are faced with an unknown problem?? Yup: google)

Google say memory issue (trying to read an address it can’t access).

HDs are configurable as to which is the primary disk. It is usually a DIP switch but can be a BIOS setting. If you didn’t set this when added the other drive then you could cause this kind of confusion on boot up.

If the computer beeps before trying to access the HD then BSoD then the components checked out. Then, it would be a logic error on which HD to access.

Pull the second HD and try booting. If it boots, google how to add a second HD.

If it doesn’t, then my assistance is not necessary! And I still wish you best of luck!!

posted on Oct, 17 2022 @ 05:37 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Nov, 24 2022 @ 01:06 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join