It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Canadian members, tell us how the Trucker Convoy is affecting you

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Now that the two biggest entry points have been caught up with the Truckers Protest, how has your life changed?
I guess this could also cover th USA cities and members across the border.

Food shortages?
Empty shelves?
Traffic snarls?
Laid off from job?
Mail deliveries curtailed?
Aiding the Convoy?
Gasoline shortages?

If possible, tell us at least in general what part of the country you're in.....

edit on Wed Feb 9 2022 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe
one political party that was on the nazi side of this just turned against 2 g probably preventing it over here in the netherlands honk HONNNNKKK
they are seriously stirring thins up
jordan peterson has a good intervieuw on it available on youtube
HONK HONK

edit on 9-2-2022 by negedef because: spelling honk honk

edit on Wed Feb 9 2022 by DontTreadOnMe because: attempt to fix BB code

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Shelves were starting to empty in some grocery stores BEFORE the protest.
Most fresh fruits and vegetables are there , some are periodically missing.

In Canada in winter, most fresh food comes from the US via largely US truckers from places like California.

There is already a shortage of truckers in the US and many US Truckers can find loads elsewhere than going to Canada, with all the hassle that Trudeau has introduced on purpose at the border to manufacture an artifical crisis. Trudeau is making it difficult for Canadian truckers ( who typically do not vote Liberal - punishing them and anyone that does not vote for him is his MO) carrying loads to US, with moving goals posts of what is fully vaccinated.

And despite outright LIES by the CBC and MSM, these protests have been overwhelmingly peaceful, complete with bouncy castles, saunas and hot tubs and hockey games in the streets.

In the last 24 hours, some of Turdeau's own Liberal MPs are now calling him out and some police sargeants are now refusing orders.

Hopefully, the asshole is going down.
edit on 9-2-2022 by M5xaz because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-2-2022 by M5xaz because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 10:12 AM
link   
No physical effects as in shortages( I live way up north and shortages have been happening for over a year so they haven’t gotten worse or better) or traffic jams or even local protests. However the general population some of them for the first time seem to be realizing that what’s happening in reality the protest and what the media says the protest is are two totally vastly different things.

People are realizing the media and government are lying and if they are lying about this what else are they lying about.
It’s also made open discussion on discourse publicly accepted.

I’ve only met one person who actually thinks the protests are racially motivated. One single person out of my entire sphere.

edit on 9-2-2022 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 10:22 AM
link   

A casual friend/cabbie who shuttles me around has been completely 100% in favour of the policies imposed due to covid. He believes what he's told and does what he's told. Our conversations have been fun but I tip well enough that he's never felt I've been disrespectful to his opinion. But then suddenly he said; "All this over a point zero two percentage chance of dying from the flu?! Did you hear what Trudeau did to those truckers?". Truckers and cabbies are kinly and my friend finally woke up out of anger and disgust. So glad we're on the same page.

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ConcernedCanadian

Some people will be coming around eventually.

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Excellent question.

I'm curious to see the answers. The shortages started before the Convoy but they will and have to get worse if it keeps up.

In our area at the International Crossing at SSM there haven't been any noticeable shortages of anything, but the prices have increased dramatically on everything including gas.

Here in Ottawa everything seems stocked, but I'm in hotel mode, so, living like I'm 20 again. Tim Hortons is fully stocked!!!

The trucker Convoy has affected me by making me realize it's time to act.

NOW.

edit on 2/9/2022 by MykeNukem because: they came for the truckers and I wasn't a trucker...

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 10:37 AM
link   
That’s worth noting. The prices are absolutely bonkers 3$ for a dozen eggs, 7$ For 4L of milk 1.65$ per litre of gas. I just picked up some ribeyes from the store they where unimpressive cuts 17$ each…..two chicken breasts…About 7$

Even the price of tap water has quadrupled in the last 2 years….taxes went up also in my small town.

a reply to: MykeNukem

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

Well, first prices rise then scarcity hits, here's hoping for a quick resolution

our prices here in the US are soaring.

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 10:45 AM
link   

You know, I was pleasantly surprised last night, on the local Lansing news, that they did NOT spin the Ambassador bridge trucks in a bad light. I really thought they would.

As others have said, there were already shortages, so nothing new, or more drastic yet. I don't travel much anyway, so no issues there either.

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Are your Tim Horton's dine in or drive through only?
Around here, some fast food places are slowly allowing dine in again, but people seem reluctant to enter.

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I'm on vancouver island where it has always been said that we only have a three day supply of food if we were to ever get cut off. Not seeing much change here yet, except various shelves in the grocery stores were slow getting stocked before this even happened. Cereal has been in short supply all winter and fruit has been poor quality. This last week I haven't been able to buy the feed I prefer for my animals. That may be more due our own shortages due to fire and floods that happened last year and I can still get plenty in other brands.

I'll update if it changes as it likely will. The few people I'm able to connect with that support the protests have taken a "live like it's the depression" approach of buying little or nothing in support of the truckers.

Outside of ATS, I literally know only five people, mostly farmers, who are in support of the truckers and most people think it's a racist, violent show down like the media has told them.
edit on 9-2-2022 by igloo because: added thought

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

I'll have to check to see what cheap eggs are around here.
I paid $4 a dozen yesterday, but they were free range and "organic".

Curious about saltine crackers in Canada.
They seem to be totally missing now in my area, east side of Michigan

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Interesting.
A friend said he heard WJR voice concern over "perishables" due to the border issue.

Not sure WJR gets to Lansing area.
However, the owner of the Ambassador Bridge says he supports the truckers.
www.wjr.com...

February 8, 2022 ~ Owner of the Ambassador Bridge Matt Moroun talks to Paul W. about the trucker protest blocking the bridge and he says he supports the truckers and would like the US and Canadian governments to give just a bit to help them out.

[link to 9 minute podcast]

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I live in the heart of downtown Edmonton a few blocks from the Alberta Legislature. I attend the protests every Saturday, and the horns go well into the evening. The noise--which can be considerable--doesn't bother me in the least because I appreciate what each and every individual is doing to peacefully stand up for what they believe to be right. I personally support freedom to choose in every way. I have also witnessed absolutely nothing but peaceful intentions and good will from all participating to protest in Edmonton myself. The government has trampled on rights left, right, and centre. While last night Kenney did conditionally lift the mandate to go to events, restaurants, etc, there was zero mention about eliminating what I think are extremely discriminatory QR codes, and the adult mask requirement is still in effect. As well, they continue to support the right for employers to decide whether they wish to require vaccinations a condition of employment. I disagree with this on every level.

There was also very slippery language indicating that they'd be monitoring the hospitalization numbers for the next three weeks. As vaccinated hospitalizations are now statistically rivalling those of unvaccinated, I am suspicious that tptb anticipate potential rise, and will thus use it as an excuse to slap even more draconian measures--likely blaming those who have opted to resist being coerced in being vaccinated. The rhetoric and figure-pointing against them remains blatant and propagandistic from the local and national news. Trudeau is as useless and insolent as they come from a leadership perspective.

As for day to day life, I do notice more road rage and distracted drivers (that's saying something in Alberta...). Grocery stores have periodic holes here and there, but that is nothing new for several months and there's hasn't been anything I've personally seen that hasn't been restocked within a few days, nor that which I couldn't do without in the interim in support of what the truckers are doing. Prices have shot up considerably and gas is through the roof.

I remain hopeful and peacefully, rationally, resistant in every action I take.
edit on 9-2-2022 by Auntie Matter because: typo

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 11:23 AM
link   
There were shortages before the protest. And prices going up.
I have two friends in Ontario who are both truckers,who agree with the convoy but have kept working. They tell me it will be a couple more weeks before we really see empty shelves and supply chain breakdown. Most of the truckers in Ottawa to my knowledge are independent and the majority of goods can still move in the big company trucks. The longer this goes on though, that will change.
I knew this situation was inevitable last fall and started stocking up then. With what I have on hand now I can go two months without a grocery store. They have my full support so it's worth it.

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

Are your Tim Horton's dine in or drive through only?
Around here, some fast food places are slowly allowing dine in again, but people seem reluctant to enter.

Both.

Mask mandate of course, but dine in is available.

I'd say almost 50% of people here have just blatantly quit wearing masks, some businesses are complaining of that, but I think it's their passive aggressive way of supporting the protest.

I wear it out of courtesy for the fearful when I'm inside an establishment.

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: M5xaz

Yes, same here in New Brunswick. People complaining about rising gas and food prices, but this was happening before the protest.

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 01:03 PM
link   
For shortages, I haven't noticed much here. But I have heard of large shortages on shelves outside my city.

posted on Feb, 9 2022 @ 01:05 PM
link   
It's not affecting me or anybody I know in any way beyond providing some entertainment.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join