It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Generations should unite. Let's drink and talk about what is going on right now I already started.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2024 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Lost generation. Silent generation, Greatest generation, Baby Boomers.

Gen alpha is the first to have been entirely born in the 21st century. Interesting.

Gen X. Millennial or Gen Y. Gen Z or Zoomer.

Let's try and look at this.

Lost generation had WWI. I dont know why it starts here or whether there is a generation name before that. But this is where it starts from what I can find. We all know what happened in 1913 and the industrial revolution before that. Maybe that's why it starts here.

Greatest generation. These guys fought in WW2 and really I guess from my perspective did set a standard for America that I wish we could get back to. You know what I mean.

Silent generation didn't have much going on. WW2 was going on but these kids were too young to be involved in that. Maybe Korea or Vietnam later on.

Then we have the baby boomers. People like to blame them for what's going on right now but I really think they were too young to be the ultimate cause of all the problems going on right now. It was some shady backroom stuff going on for decades before the boomers were even thought of that made everything like this now.

Gen X really saw the shift of America from a manufacturing culture to a consumer culture and that has been a big thing that has affected pretty much every aspect of American culture. Even gender roles. Even masculinity. Men are no longer going out putting in a solid days worth of labor to support their families. Now many many more are in effeminate roles behind keyboards. A lot of men have softer hands than me and that is a joke. This generation seems to have been fully washed in women's lib indoctrination and I won't go into that because its a whole other thing. But you know what I mean.

Millenials. This is where I fall. A lot of millennial's parents were boomers. I think this is why we are seeing the louder questioning of just what is going on by this generation. A lot of us are really thinking and asking the questions. Like why is it the way it is right now? What is going on?? We don't know. But we want to because we see how it seemed so easy or better for our parents and we want to know why is that? Why?? Inflation maybe the Nixon thing. Maybe the whole set up from the beginning?? Its not greed I mean it is not their fault they bought a house in 1990 for 100k and its over a million dollars now which screws us. They didn't do that. The system did. But why?? Especially when the whole thing is essentially based on nothing.

Gen alpha has an interesting ring to it. The first generation born entirely in the 21st century. The first generation fully saturated in internet. And not the old internet. Not our old friend Mr. Web. No. This is the new shiny fancy internet. The whitewashed internet. The google-net.

Discuss?

posted on May, 17 2024 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Late boomer here, and I am the lost generation because the boomers start right after WW2 and I am Vietnam era child. That generation saw people coming back fighting battles that the war machine was profiting off of in our names was what the hippies said. Turns out, they were right about that part. Only, they went all out Commie to counter the actual Totalitarian leftism of the War Machine. IMHO of course.

I saw people smoke pot in HS hallways in the 70's now who are total marxist losers now, while the next gen of pot smokers are pro America , love God despite their sins, and love their family. Not necessarily in that order. Those hippies still hate America and now they hate white people especially for some reason. That, even though many of them are white as a sheet of paper.

posted on May, 17 2024 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Shoshanna

Lost generation had WWI. I dont know why it starts here or whether there is a generation name before that.

Why are WWI people called the 'lost' generation
The term “Lost Generation” was coined to describe the young people who came of age during World War I. They were “lost” because they found the conservative moral and social values of their parents to be irrelevant in a post-war world. The war had a profound impact on their lives, causing them to question the values and beliefs of their elders. They were disillusioned with the idea of a return to the way of life before the war, as President Warren G. Harding’s “back to normalcy” policy seemed to them to be hopelessly provincial, materialistic, and emotionally barren.

The term “Lost Generation” was popularized by Ernest Hemingway, who used it as an epigraph to his novel “The Sun Also Rises” (1926). Hemingway’s character, Lady Brett Ashley, says, “You are all a lost generation,” echoing the phrase coined by Gertrude Stein, who is credited with giving them their name. Stein described the Lost Generation as “all of you young people who served in the war. You are a lost generation… You have no respect for anything.”

AI-generated answer. Please verify critical facts. Learn more

I figured it was probably because all are most likely dead by now. AI disagrees, it seems!

posted on May, 17 2024 @ 08:25 AM
link   
An observation too is that people are being conditioned to dislike and make fun of other generations. When it should be that we are learning from them and listening to them on their own observations of what is going on. Same with how like ok online there are 2 camps. Boomers making fun of younger people and younger people making fun of boomers. But the thing is, everybody should be coming together sharing info amongst ourselves and because we are all down here. We are all basically on the same level. Across generations. The upper crust people are also on one level. Across generations. And they come together with their wealth and power to keep us in this situation for their benefit. There are a lot more of us than them though that's the thing.

posted on May, 17 2024 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

I love America so much that's the thing. I watch these old shows or listen to stories from older people and see just wow what America could be. Can still be. And it is being propagandized out of existence by these exactly racist commie pinko ba.stards. attempted brain wash everywhere you turn! Hehe. I am hoping there's enough people in my age range who think like me and can shift something around here.

posted on May, 17 2024 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Well, your OP title seems to disagree with the OP that follows. You suggest we talk about what's "right" and then seem to illustrate a number of problems.

For my part, I guess my biggest observation is the discussion of 'generations' at all. It seems like yet another line of division in an already divided society today, another classification to claim some type of "ism", class-ism. Another excuse to claim to be a..."victim" of some social wrong.

I don't really fit into one of these classes (as I am not from Earth). I fit right in between the Boomer and Gen X class, right on the dividing line. Honestly though, growing up, I really don't remember much, if any, discussion about "classes" up until the 90's (Millenials). It seems to me like Millenials needed something to define themselves as they felt they had no identity, thus the whole class discussion came about.

If you have a thick skin (very), go out to social networking websites like reddit and just look at the pure unbridled hatred of the Boomer class. They have entire forums dedicated to nothing but unending streams of seething hatred for this class. I don't understand this. I don't ever remember a generation of people absolutely loathing a generation before them...until the 'Millennial' and 'Gen Z' "classes" started harping on it. How can a generation of people "hate" their forefathers, brothers and mothers? It makes no sense.

From my perspective, I don't look forward to a next 'Generation' moniker at all. I look forward to a new generation of people without a moniker to define them as some special "class" of people.

That's my .02 on the matter, FWIW.

posted on May, 17 2024 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I'm in a unique place being the second youngest born on the cusp of Gen X in a core family of seven. I heard stories told by my grandparents, one great-grandmother, and a great Aunt who had stories of when the family moved to the Colorado Territory in the 1800s. I knew people in my family from four generations and that gave me a wide range of insights. Then when I got older and became the old man, I worked with young people fresh out of High School. Living in a rural area, I was happy to know so many conservative young people who I could relate to.

What is missing IMO is a connection to the deep past when humans were feral hunter/gatherer clans living wild on the land. You were raised with the knowledge that would not only allow you to survive in the wilderness, but thrive there. We lack that basic human knowledge of how to live without the conveniences of the current lifestyle, what I consider to be the true human condition. Currently, most humans live in a fantasy land compared to the real world which will kill them fairly quickly without the knowledge and skills of long-forgotten generations.

posted on May, 17 2024 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Shoshanna

You said: ". And not the old internet. Not our old friend Mr. Web. No. This is the new shiny fancy internet. The whitewashed internet. The google-net."

The Artificially Intelligent A.I. "net". All...less than real.

So ..how's it feel we depend on .....artificial....most everything?

Maybe we should be Gen Zeta...or s'mthin!

God bless Sho🙏✌️😎
edit on 05241631America/ChicagoFri, 17 May 2024 09:00:16 -050000202400000016 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

edit on 05241531America/ChicagoFri, 17 May 2024 09:01:15 -050001202400000015 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2024 @ 09:12 AM
link   
As a gen-Xer...

Whatever

posted on May, 17 2024 @ 09:48 AM
link   
When you mentioned hands it took me back to meeting my wife. I was born in 1958 and we were early 30's when we met at work. Both divorced.

The first thing she did after asking me who I was and what I did was ask to see my hands. She looked at both sides and deemed me acceptable.

Later she told me the scars and calluses showed hard work and because they were clean and neat otherwise showed I took care of them.

To the OP, I wish more people would reach across generations. There is so much to learn from older but also younger people. I took my 10 year old grandson on a ski trip this year. Just he and me. We had a blast and I learned perspectives that were new.

posted on May, 17 2024 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I do blame the Boomer Generation, hippies in particular.

The whole free love and do what thou wilt BS was the beginning of the moral downfall of our country. We are where we are because of selfishness...I am the only one that matters, so to speak.

The boomers are the ones who really ushered in the material world mindset we now have, all in the name of a buck. Having needs met, did not satisfy them. The two income family left kids to fend for themselves, the only lesson being self preservation.

And now I have to call myself out.

I agree with previous posters, the naming of generations is meant to divide. By my calling out boomers, I feed into that.

But seriously, the boomer generation has nothing to teach the younger generation IMHO. They are about themselves. They cannot teach the lessons of empathy and compassion, bc they fake it in real life. Virtue signaling. Words with no actions.

posted on May, 17 2024 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shoshanna
a reply to: Justoneman

I love America so much that's the thing. I watch these old shows or listen to stories from older people and see just wow what America could be. Can still be. And it is being propagandized out of existence by these exactly racist commie pinko ba.stards. attempted brain wash everywhere you turn! Hehe. I am hoping there's enough people in my age range who think like me and can shift something around here.

One of the crazier parts of this story is the Dems were the Black Crow folks and the black folk have given them a pass for some reason and blame the party that gave their lives to free them, literally.

posted on May, 18 2024 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

If you're okay with all of that, then this is what the future holds for you and all generations who follow you.

You speak with forked tongue though. You talk about empathy and compassion, but division creates the exact opposite.

Again, I am not of any particular 'generation', but in between two of them; I see both. AND, I also see all before and all after. You, on the other hand, choose only to see you and all after.

There is an old saying..."Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

You might consider contemplating those words a little more carefully.

When we/they are gone, they will be gone forever. You may say "Good Riddance!" and believe this is the World reset you needed, but it doesn't work that way; never has.

There's also another old saying..."Watch out what you wish for, it just might come true!"

top topics

join