It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gov. Newsom signs $20/hr fast food minimum wage

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 08:00 AM
link   
It's all over the headlines so I didn't put it in the Mainstream News forum.

Since it's so easy to get other food, is it possible he's trying to get back at the states sending him migrants to deal with? By ensuring his lowest-skilled workers lose their jobs and have to move?

edit on 1-10-2023 by Solvedit because: clarity

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 08:22 AM
link   
$150 to take the family to the drive-thru will be one way to cure the obesity epidemic.

Chains which want to remain in the state will HAVE to invest in automation now. That or have their burgers priced in payments...

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I bet all the kids who might have had a little motivation to get a job, will find it hard to compete against adults. And the cost of fast food will increase, which as has been said, is likely a good thing for the consumer. Less adults gobbling up the rat burgers.

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Solvedit

Franchise owners will pivot to automation to save costs and a lot of those people will be out of a job in a few years.

Typical “feel good” policies with damaging second-order consequences that will be felt by those they are pandering to. Classic “progressive” politician move

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Good bye to the fast food industry in California

And to any job who pay at or below 20/hr

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Aaaaand there go all the jobs. Nothing left but touch screens and one or two old geezers in the kitchen, who throw your food on the counter and also mop floors. The manager will work remotely lol.
Newsome actually needs to escape to federal politics.
Cali is gonna just implode any time now. He needs to skeedaddle so that he can blame it all on somebody else that had nothing to do with it.

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 09:00 AM
link   

They're going to give them more cake?
They might as well since the cost of living, even with this raise, is still too high to afford a home.

I guess now they can entice more people to stay and cater to the rich.

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 09:06 AM
link   
That'll kill all the fast food restaurants and the jobs.
What a dumb thing to do.

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: stevieray
Newsome actually needs to escape to federal politics.

Careful or he'll appoint himself to replace Feinstein!

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Are you guys serious? $20 x 40hrs = $800.
$800 x 52 weeks = $41,600 per year, before tax.

You guys make it sound like its a lot. It’s really not. What do you want them to make $7.50 an hour? Do you want them on welfare?

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 09:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
What a dumb thing to do.

Ostensibly, yes.

But I was hoping this thread would try to pry apart the method to the madness.

As I suggested in the OP, Newsom may be trying to cause an exodus of unskilled labor to the very states that are sending him undocumented migrants.

What else could it be? Could he think Californians' social vision will lead them to accept paying $25-50 for a snack instead of packing a sandwich?
edit on 1-10-2023 by Solvedit because: clarity

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: stevieray

Please, lets not foist him on the rest of the country!

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Where are all the other poor going to eat?

Many working poor are renting bedrooms for 800 a month. Those situations do not include a kitchen.

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore

Franchise owners will pivot to automation to save costs and a lot of those people will be out of a job in a few years.

Typical “feel good” policies with damaging second-order consequences that will be felt by those they are pandering to. Classic “progressive” politician move

This is coming either way, in fact I've been in a couple of McDonald's that didn't have cashiers right here in California. The only thing I ever order at a McDonald's is coffee when I'm on the road. Their coffee isn't actually half bad. I have nothing against fast food but Mickey D's gives me rock gut every time.

California keeps trying to run this minimum wage thing against the cost of living here. It's disturbing how expensive things really are here. At $20hr one almost breaks even with the cost of the gas to get to work 😂
edit on 202311202300000031 by odd1out because: (no reason given)

edit on 202311202300000031 by odd1out because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 09:31 AM
link   

What a dumb thing to do.

It’s by intent

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: DaRAGE
Are you guys serious? $20 x 40hrs = $800.
$800 x 52 weeks = $41,600 per year, before tax.

You guys make it sound like its a lot. It’s really not. What do you want them to make $7.50 an hour? Do you want them on welfare?

Yeah, I actually want them to make 7.50 an hour, because that’s what high school kids and pensioners are looking for.
If you have a “career” in McDonalds cooking burgers and cleaning the toilet, you should also be OK with your 7.50.
You also can only ask yourself why you’re so stupid to live in NYC or LA, with a bunch of kids, on your McDonalds lowest-level career.
But we get it. Nobody who has screwed up this badly in life will ever admit it. Just demand public welfare or govt enforced welfare through communist control of private businesses.

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 09:45 AM
link   
It is an evil thing that is happening here. This is the governor of CA making a name for himself across the nation. Not just California. He is attempting to secure the vote of all of those who would normally need to work in these areas. But there is a problem here.

If you own a small business and your bottom line does not allow you to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars for automation, and if you do not have that kind of cash flow which most do not. Then the outcome is a no go. Your business will cease to exist. All the while New some will garner votes of the young who thank him for the twenty bucks an hour which soon.....they will not make due to being laid off. Few people today make any attempt to consider their actions or future.

Who among us will pay 20 bucks for a doughnut? And who will pay 30 for a whopper meal? Is there anyone who will tip 20% for a 35 dollar plate with a small burger and fries brought to your table? And even if you cease to eat out, what will be the outcome of all of those newly married who want to buy a home finding the cost is so high it is not possible? Will you work at the local franchise who is "forced" to pay that much for flipping a burger? The business who once had twenty positions available, but now only has one just to observe the machines?

This world is headed for a reckoning, and it will come. Some of us know where this is headed, and the outcome is not going to be pretty. "Selah" [Pause and Reflect]

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

What a dumb thing to do.

It’s by intent

They’re already tossing out the idea of govt food stores, as they slowly kill the private food industry.
Every type of retail will be rolled up into this neat little communist plan for replacing private businesses.

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 09:48 AM
link   
How can he target any particular sector for a minimun wage?

Why just fast food? Why not raise the CA minimum wage to $20 ?

Not that I think its a good idea, but why single out fast food?

The fast food industry will file lawsuits against this, I'd bet.

Democrat grandstanding and buying votes. Its plain for all to see.

posted on Oct, 1 2023 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: DaRAGE

I have a sister-in-law who pays $3,600 a month for a tiny little place in San Diego.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join