It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palmer Luckey Made a VR Headset That Kills the User If They Die in the Game

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 05:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain
a reply to: slatesteam
Have you seen Ready Player One?

OMG yes I’ve seen the movie.

I love video games. I would fight to the death to not have this be a reality (wink).

It strikes me as beyond dystopian and way beyond disturbing and distasteful.

I shudder to think I may be alone in that POV.

In other words, I see the masses applauding and a new form of civil “gladiator” and arena taking over viewers from the NFL and The Masked Singer.

Yuck.

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: slatesteam

originally posted by: Itisnowagain
a reply to: slatesteam
Would you ever willingly put one on?

Have you seen Ready Player One?

My point exactly. Most people fall over using VR already lol.

Succinctly “no”. But does this sound like something that is supposed to be gently used? Or chosen freely?

Are we there as a species? Because I’ll take the gingerbread fentanyl house with X-mas tunes in the background.

I instantly thought of doubles pong.
I’m not a global de-populationist. Honest.

I think every politician should be padlocked into one.
edit on 9-11-2022 by Dalamax because: Meh

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 08:16 AM
link   
You guys do realize he did it based on an anime series, right? He’s not making an actual headset that kills the user. He’s trying to make a headset based on the one in the series that allows a full VR experience. In the series, the creator of the game trapped players in the game, and if they died in the game, the headset killed them.

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Now I want my money back

a reply to: Zaphod58

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Interesting concept to keep game play real. It is a game though, a game of chance basically. Your life is a high price for losing, there needs to be a big pay off if you win, other than just continuing to live.

Maybe they could sell the idea on street cred, like a type of initiation rate. You live though the game and you get to be in the "gang" so-to-speak.

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Iamonlyhuman

Would manslaughter charges be considered against the creator if a user is killed by the device?

(post by panoz77 removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I don’t see one single positive effect or outcome for this tech. It’s basically like step one for the real like matrix.

Anyone got a positive spin? Because I can only see subjugation.

You guys remember the guy who got a bomb locked onto his neck/chest and then had to rob a bank to get it off? Well that’s what this guy is doing except with VR and microwaves so I guess it’s cool and alright….

edit on 9-11-2022 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: NobodySpecial268
It is a suicide machine.

Did he find a loophole Jack kevorkian could not?

(post by BernnieJGato removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

Except he’s not. It’s not a real helmet. He’s trying to recreate the full dive VR helmet from an anime series, which included this aspect. It’s not a real VR helmet.

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: UpThenDown

It’s not an actual working VR helmet. He’s trying to recreate the full dive VR helmet used in an anime/light novel series. In the series they were trapped in the game, and if they died in game, the helmet used microwaves to kill the user outside the game.

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 10:27 AM
link   
If(big IF) this is real, i have absolutely 0 issues with it. Good luck to anyone dumb enough to try it. Seems like a way thin out some stupidity

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 11:20 AM
link   

edit on 9-11-2022 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
You guys do realize he did it based on an anime series, right? He’s not making an actual headset that kills the user. He’s trying to make a headset based on the one in the series that allows a full VR experience. In the series, the creator of the game trapped players in the game, and if they died in the game, the headset killed them.

Wrong, read the article(s) again he made an actual headset that kills the user if they lose. He even said he hasn't tested it yet because: “I have plans for an anti-tamper mechanism that, like the NerveGear, will make it impossible to remove or destroy the headset,” he said. “Even so, there are a huge variety of failures that could occur and kill the user at the wrong time. This is why I have not worked up the balls to actually use it myself.

Luckey’s killer headset looks like a Meta Quest Pro hooked up with three explosive charge modules that sit above the screen. The charges are aimed directly at the user's forebrain and, should they go off, would obliterate the head of the user.

Unable to make the perfect recreation (with a microwave emitter), Luckey opted for explosive modular charges. He tied them to a narrow-band photo sensor that detects the headset views a specific red screen that flashes at a specific frequency. “When an appropriate game-over screen is displayed, the charges fire, instantly destroying the brain of the user,” Luckey said.

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 12:02 PM
link   

He made the actual headset, but he isn't making it for actual use, or sale. It's based on an anime/light novel series from Japan. I read the article long before it was posted here. He's doing it because in the series, the game was launched on November 6, 2022 so there has been a lot of stuff going on with the fandom this month. He and his wife are huge fans of the series, which caused a lot of interest in Oculus when it launched.

From his Twitter post on November 6:

To commemorate the Sword Art Online Incident of November 6th 2022, I made the OQPNVG, the first virtual reality device capable of killing the user - if you die in the game, you die in real life.

twitter.com...

It is highly unlikely a device like this will make it out to the market. Luckey also said that the device is currently a “piece of office art” and that he hasn’t even tested the device to see if it works due to his own fears. However, he warns that this isn’t going to be the last VR headset device that could kill its user.

wegotthiscovered.com...

The provocative art project is inspired by the anime Sword Art Online in which players who are trapped in VR die for real if they die in the virtual world.

In the anime Sword Art Online, November 6th, 2022 is the day in which the VRMMORPG goes public, and the same day that players learn the dire circumstances of their situation. As the story goes, unbeknownst to those who joined the game, the NerveGear VR headset they are wearing will kill them in real life if they die in the virtual world. They will also die if someone attempts to remove the headset from their real body.

www.roadtovr.com...

Palmer Luckey, founder of Oculus VR and creator of the Oculus Rift, has designed a new VR headset to celebrate the popular light novel and anime series Sword Art Online which can also kill you.

The plot of Sword Art Online revolves around a massive multiplayer online role-playing game in VR, which is played using a headset called the NerveGear. A number of players get locked into the game and the NerveGear can't be removed whilst a player is still online. And (spoiler alert) it'll kill a player in real-life if they die in the game.

Luckey revealed his own version of this headset, named the OQPNVG, in a blog post on 6th November, to coincide with the day the events of Sword Art Online begin. (@SAO_IRL on Twitter is dedicated to broadcasting the events of the series as if it was actually happening, if a murder headset isn't enough realism for you.)

www.eurogamer.net...
edit on 11/9/2022 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 12:38 PM
link   

I looked his name up on Wikipedia.... it's rather enlightening....Anduril Industries etc.

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 12:51 PM
link   
So remove any safety constraints in the software or hardware, then send it to your ex.

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

He made the actual headset, but he isn't making it for actual use, or sale.

And yet ....he works in the development of weapons.

posted on Nov, 9 2022 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

And he's a geek of the highest level. He and his wife had figures made of them from Sword Art Online because they're such big fans of the series. What possible purpose would a helmet that kills you if you die in VR serve the military?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join