It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1st Responder responds to Concealed Carrying. My explanation…

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   
This week, I started a thread about concealed carry preferences, and it was brought up a 1st Responder who carries a firearm, is a form of oxymoron. Well…this gives me an opportunity to explain some things. I may not respond to comments, but needed to put this out there for discussion.

An EMT and Emergency Response Team member, my specialty is Medical Triage Assessment, certified in Advanced Disaster Life Support by F.E.M.A./ Dept. of Homeland Security, Universities of Michigan, Michigan State, Wayne State, the American Red Cross and American Heart Association among other organizations. I have also received the Presidential Service Award.

I am licensed to carry firearms, but never when responding. It’s not allowed. I believe in the Constitution and defending and preserving life. If I HAD to use force against someone…I’d also be the one to get down and save that life if I could, and would even put myself in the line of fire for another. Thats just me. There is a great difference here in having to use deadly force, and saving one from it’s after effects. I know some may not understand. You don’t have to. The one perpetrating the violence and the one who deals with the results, does.

Some things about firearms are actually quite simple, but deadly serious in the consequences of using them. These are basic and simple to understand from CPL/CCW training, but there are in fact many more to learn about.

1. Never carry a firearm unless you are prepared to use it if necessary.
2. Never draw your weapon unless you intend to fire it.
3. Never fire it unless you intend to shoot someone.
4. Never shoot someone you’re not intending on stopping or worse, killing. The consequences of either are dire and extreme and life altering.

Friends…I won’t live forever no matter what actions I do or don’t do. But if I can save a life and prevent violence with force and have no other way…I won’t hesitate. I just wanted to clear this issue up a bit, and explain the desire to save lives...even if it was caused by my own or others actions in defense of life. All lives matter…

As long as criminals have guns…so will the good guys… and 1st Responders will be there for you…every time. If you read this far? Thank you.

God Best to all, Stay Safe Always….
Mysterioustranger

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Well said. Not sure who used the oxymoron comment to you, but they were incorrect. After all, officers of the law are first responders and they all carry deadly force weapons in the US. Personally, I think it’s absurd you have to defend your right as an American citizen, with no disqualifiers, to 2A protection and I wouldn’t have wasted the energy (so you’re a better human than I). Please be safe in all you do and keep fighting the good fight!

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Carry a gun and you're certified by FEMA, when are you guys coming to round us up? Only kidding

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

People are going to be butt hurt no matter what, you can't take it all personal. You know if you are righteous or not, and will hopefully act accordingly.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I read your op on that thread. Didn't stick around to see what folks said, though.

For someone to state that by carrying a concealed firearm as a first responder, you are an oxymoron in human form??? Ludicrous.

You obviously know the rules and ethics of carrying a firearm. You also care greatly about human life. That is the definition of who should carry a concealed firearm.

P.S. i love me my ruger p89. Sounds like a silly CC to most, but I'm a big guy and the thing is perfectly fitted for my hands. Plus it's a friggin brick. You'd have to melt it down to make it unfireable. It'll survive long after I'm gone

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   

if someone decides to carry a firearm they should get trained on:

1. how to use the firearm. not just shooting at a paper target but "real world" training. you need hours of practice to make the use of a firearm safe for you. if you have to stop and ask "is my safety on?" you are not ready to carry a firearm.
2. the laws regarding firearms. concealed laws, discharge of weapons law, legal rights and responsibilities
3. how to clean and store the firearm

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I for one don’t believe EMTs and Fireman should be able to carry Firearms.

Firemen it’s pretty obvious why they shouldn’t carry them.

EMTs are supposed to save lives not cause death. Saving a life by causing death is just a stupid way of thinking. EMTs are supposed to respect all lives.

If they didn’t respect all lives what keeps them from attempting to save a guys life who was shot by the police for killing someone. Are you going to let him bleed out because he shot someone? Or are you going to uphold your oath as an EMT and save the man?
edit on 25-9-2017 by TheLotLizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Double
edit on 25-9-2017 by TheLotLizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   

1. Never carry a firearm unless you are prepared to use it if necessary.
3. Never fire it unless you intend to shoot someone.
4. Never shoot someone you’re not intending on stopping or worse, killing. The consequences of either are dire and extreme and life altering.

That is one order of the day my Dad always drilled into his sons
3. If you have to draw your firearm , shoot. Dont stand there talking , that could get you killed

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I 'd take a bullet for a 1st responder, if I had to.
THEY are real heros ,I just killed bad guys...lesser man.
I'D rather suppress and and terminate...

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

4. a safety is a man made device that can fail at any time. don't point your gun at anything you don't want to kill.

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: mysterioustranger

As long as criminals have guns…so will the good guys…

except you wont, because as you said

I am licensed to carry firearms, but never when responding. It’s not allowed.

when the rules keep guns from the good guys makes you wonder if its bad guys writing the rules.

can only wonder how many lives have been lost because of that rule...

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   
people have an irrational fear/hate of firearms.....I realize its just a difference in the way people are brought up, for me it just doesnt make sense.....

I see nothing wrong with a 1st responder being armed, you never know what kind of situation youre coming up on....

And technically, ANYONE who is first on the scene after, or even during an event is a first responder......

posted on Sep, 25 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Keep carrying. It's your right. Exercise it!!

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: TheLotLizard

You are aware that police officers are being cross-trained as EMTs now in many American communities because that can save lives with time... and communities $$$ where there are budget cuts. And it's working..

On the negative side? I know one officer who refuse(has refused) to administer Narcan to an overdose victim. He just was not comfortable with it after a failed bad experience ...and that's fine.

Like CPR.. If you're not comfortable with doing it? Then don't. That's fine..

Let me add that the "do what you can and do no harm" adage applies. Look.. With CPR the person is pretty much dead right then anyway.. So do or don't... But you just might bring em back.

Weapons at work on duty for me? I'm carrying it but... as EMTs.. we get there after police anyway so there's no need except perhaps that 1 time they aren't.

Thanks a lot!

edit on 26-9-2017 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Thank you everyone.. Also? Please volunteer in your communities. You are needed! Just pick something you like...

Thanks in advance if you do!!
MS

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   

I would like to think that no one who carries and would use a firearm to stop a life-threatening attack would be happy if that person lost their life.

I never want to use my firearm against another human being, and would like to think that I wouldn't hesitate if I had to, but I don't know because I've never been tested and hope never to be. But, like you, I would do whatever I could with the minimal training that I have to preserve that person's life until medics arrived on scene.

In my opinion, all first responders should have to option to carry a firearm while on duty.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Are you a paid, "1st responder".

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: NobodiesNormal

Im reminded of a saying...no matter what the case...."I'd rather have a gun at the end of my arm in a life and death situation...then a phone to the police".

I will say...though "not allowed" to use at work...I still WOULD...in a minute...and get fired...to save a life.

posted on Sep, 26 2017 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Thanks. I do. Whats a job lost against one life saved? I hope I never have to use it. I think people misunderstand concealed carriers and the like.

We train, and get licensed to carry them for the obvious...but its really not to USE them. Carrying them provides you the option...but common and steady sense and responsibility keeps every license holder I know...from not EVER having to use them.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join