It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Next Level BS: Why is ATS now hell bent on shoving this turd down mine and everyone else's throat?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TheNewRevolution

You have used the word discussion there, and that is important.

You are right, that is precisely what the site is for. However, discussion also includes things like debate, where more than one viewpoint is expressed and explored. Now, if one is to make a video dealing with a topic upon which people have only one of two opinions, then assuming that there is equal division between the two camps on the issue, creating a video going either one way or another will necessarily go against 50% of the people who have an opinion on it.

In reality however, things are rarely that simple, because there are more than two ways to see virtually any situation or scenario dealt with by this site, and indeed the split is rarely even one way or another.

However, the principle is still the same. Now, as my first post in this thread points out, there are indeed many videos in the series which support alternative theories, and there are some which find in favour of attitudes which could, given a certain mindset, be considered a bit mainstream. However, these things are entirely in keeping with this site and its function.

We discuss and debate the topics being bought up, we do not all sing from the same hymn sheet all of the time, and it is that which makes membership here a learning experience for EVERYONE here. No matter how much of a dullard, or close to genius a member might be, there are none here for any length of time, who can say they have learned nothing from their fellow members. The reason for this is that we are all constantly exposed to points of view which run counter to our own. Some of us will learn that our points of view may have flaws in them on certain topics. Others may learn better how to express their points of view, and others still will learn how to disagree without necessarily having a negative experience.

The videos created by NLBS are no more anti conspiracy theory than they are mindlessly fantastic. Your attitudes to the topics covered in the videos you have watched, colour your reception of these videos, and if you happen to have seen only those which offer a different view to the one YOU hold, that is unfortunate, but you need to see them all before making such a statement as you initiated this thread with.

Furthermore, just because the videos you have seen do not agree with YOUR interpretation of events discussed in them, does not mean that they are flying in the face of the ENTIRE membership. In short, YOU are NOT AboveTopSecret. I am NOT AboveTopSecret. WE are ALL AboveTopSecret, and opinions on this site are many and as varied and numerous as the topics discussed here. No wonder then, that some of the videos produced by NLBS are not to your liking!

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   
We may be looking at a generational gap (although some people cross it at will). Those of us who still remember when men walked on the moon look at the words "bull#" and "turds" as jarring, especially when they are put up to represent the entire website and its posters. Younger people, who think men walked on a sound stage masquerading as the moon may say "Yeah Baby, bull#, turds dude!" (forgive my impression on our fragile youth), and love the promotional style of "Line the site wall-to-wall with turds and bull#, dudes and dudettes!". As a non-site owner, maybe a little less wall-to-wall, so I don't accidently hover-click on the stuff a dozen times a day (over 80 times a week, so please remove those from the head-count, I've never watched one of those I accidently hover-click on).

As for driving away potential editors and posters who may see those and the other ads and run, sure. Probably have lost hundreds of really good people over the years who took a look at the site, rubbed the ads out of their eyes, and ran. So now youth rules (as it always has), or at least rules a portion of the overall editorship and readership (as it always must), and the only thing to complain about is the percentage of irritant this causes to some of us. For me it's the accidental clicking, and a bit of a feeling of "it's too bad" that the site has to be so closely identified with turds from enormous on-edge bovines.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord

originally posted by: noeltrotsky
It feels like the show is meant to make conspiracies look like a fantasy land of idiots.

Wow. Perhaps six out of 35 shows ran contrary to conspiracy themes, and that's the takeaway.
Sad.

Your missing the point. The presentation is conveying that feeling to people, not just me, many others as well. Eventually the show will 'conclude' the opposite to viewers enough to turn them off the show.

*sigh*

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Ah, so that's why BS is used. I wrote "bull#" and the last few letters were XXXXed out. Non-mystery solved.

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I'm not really focusing on my point of view of the issue. Clearly I'm not ATS, but this topic so far has concluded that I'm certainly not the only one who feels the way I do about the videos.

I'm a bigger minded person than that to selfishly bring up this question on my own regard. Yes, the sidebars do personally annoy me, but what I feel is that ATS, being probably the number one alternative news and conspiracy forum, is undermining that community as a whole with the way these videos are labeled and presented.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: noeltrotsky

People need to learn to look past presentation, which is something I never thought I would have to say on this website. CNN and Fox both have production values, and shiny, polished presenters with freshly buffed pores and steam cleaned genitals. They do, however, present the most atrocious, poorly researched turd ever offered to a population for absorbtion into a psyche.

Look past the presentation, and look at what is being said. If a member or potential member cannot do that, then perhaps it is the member who has the problem, who has the work to do to improve their ability to comprehend data being presented?

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: robbystarbuck

Just my work that i've directed has over 1 Billion views on youtube alone. Our other directors that we rep and produce + myself that number goes to multiple billion views just on youtube alone. My personal channel on it's own has almost 100 million and I don't promote it actively at all. I'm not trying to sound like a cocky guy at all

I don't intend this to be a jab at you by any means. I'm not familiar with your work, so this is not a comment on your shows.
It's been my experience that 'popular' usually does not mean 'good'. There's crap on YouTube that's horrible beyond description, and it's got 100 million views. The dumbest watch the mostest. Conversely, I've stumbled across brilliant videos that only have a couple hundred views, and they were uploaded 3 years ago!

BTW, I totally agree with your opinion on NLBS. It's too haughty. They should add some humorous touches.
Penn & Teller do a " B.S." show. It's funny, and really entertaining.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
Objectivity, at least in the final presentation, is not the goal. Sorry.

Success!!! NLBS sure doesn't come across as objective.

We certainly begin the research phase with overwhelming objectivity. But once we settled on a point of view, based on factual and supportable material, there's no reason to blur the lines with artificial objectivity.

I think viewers are going to want 'artificial objectivity'. Something about having a mind of their own.

We know this show won't be for everyone. The intent is for a delivery style, format, and subject matter that creates an audience outside ATS.

Why the big push in ATS then? You'll just get negative exposure to people that are not into the format.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

If the content is intended for audiences outside of ATS, why are ATS users the ones being spoon fed it on every page?

Furthermore - of course the casuals are going to be receptive to the idea of being told a conclusion over a subject, because it is the casual, non-ATS users that are used to the narrative given to them by the news each and every day where they are told what to believe, how to believe it, and just run with it. No mental gymnastics needed to take that in.

I get that it might be popular to that crowd but is that the type of crowd that this type of community needs? Are people that join based on one sided conclusions really the critical thinking crowds that are going to bring truth to the glaring subjects in the conspiracy world?

No. But they, regardless of how they think and contribute, provide revenue stream, and I feel at this point this is the main focus of the hour.
edit on 4-2-2015 by TheNewRevolution because: punctuation

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheNewRevolution
a reply to: ProfessorChaos

Is it frivolous when a website that is supposed to be promoting honest and fair discussion calls what might possibly be the hardcore beliefs and uncounted amount of research of its users - "turds" to the public eye?

I just call it disrespectful.

That's about your only counter. Look at the show, it's a one man presentation, pretty decent in execution, but still a one man band, (I have no idea of the total input) and still a show. Then look at the replies here, Messrs Picky and Choosy and very much the same thing as NLBS itself. That's where it is problematic, it needs someone else there to promote an opposite, or alternative contribution to what is essentially should be a debate, that comes out as a rant.
There is a lot of things I find difficult here, but when you see some very decent and thoughtful posts online at ATS, I just forget about everything else, because it does not matter.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: stuthealien

well, of course it is. So is this site. So is the internet. So are online games. So is everything.

It's all part of it. But I don't really care. Some of the things are interesting, some not. I've only seen parts of like 2 or 3. I don't really care too much. Yeah they look dumb on the side of the screen but w/e. Our owners need revenue somehow, remember? I want ATS to stay here. Anyway, even the alternative news works in the mainstream's favor in a sense. It's all related and connected. If you don't want to be a part of it, then shut yourself in a dark room and stay there forever and never speak to or see the outside world ever again lol

You're living in this world too. And that's the way things are right now. Learn to adapt in your own way but I say explore it all. Brainwashings overrated and can only do so much imo. As long as you're comfortable and know yourself then you should be just fine and able to make your own opinions always. Keep an open mind and stay cautious. But this fear of TPTB is simply silly. They won't hunt you down--the reason TPTB will never raise their guns to the people is because if they do they sow the seeds of their own undoing. It's the NWO. And it's been here for a while now, interestingly enough.

The only danger is if you let things change you. Sometimes that's a good thing. Sometimes it's not. That's up to you to decide. And if things affect you heavily, then avoid those things I guess if you're highly susceptible or something. The NLBS matters little to me. The heavy advertising turns me off. I don't even see it most of the time when I'm on here. I only see it if I'm looking to see it haha
edit on 4-2-2015 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
a reply to: noeltrotsky

Look past the presentation, and look at what is being said. If a member or potential member cannot do that, then perhaps it is the member who has the problem, who has the work to do to improve their ability to comprehend data being presented?

Agreed, as long as members, especially new members don't take it that NBLS is the summation of all information that is available on ATS, or anywhere else for that matter.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
From what i can tell about the summation of the videos they are being presented with their minds made up during production.

I think they would have more effect if they would present both sides of the debate and try to remain unbiased.

There is always the chance that our own opinions are not the same as everyone elses opinion.

It is border line of pushing agendeas using the guise of conspiracy.

Some have thought before that the site is used to monitor reactions to subjects presented in an effort to fine tune the presentation before it hits msm and the timing of some of this lines up.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I got it! Went back to skim through a few episodes and I realized what would make NLBS more in interesting, in my opinion at least. A cute female cohost. Yea yea sounds sexist, but it's just my opinion and this is coming from a mostly straight female.

It's kind of boring with just one person plus having a female there adds some diversity, and it definitely couldn't hurt the views.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: JessicaRabbitTx

Appealing to the drooling people who need to see a "beautiful woman" in order to tune in is just tacky imo. Why don't they just add a banner that says "Yes! There is a possibility some woman will be unclothed in this video!!"

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheNewRevolution
If the content is intended for audiences outside of ATS, why are ATS users the ones being spoon fed it on every page?

It's just a site skin for crissake.

You forget that 85%-90% of the traffic that comes to ATS are not members. And nearly 60% of that are first-time visitors.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
I think they would have more effect if they would present both sides of the debate and try to remain unbiased.

We'd never do that if one side was wrong.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   

it seems to me that instead of promoting the discussion of conspiracy theories, this show is instead trying to embrace that idea that pretty much every conspiracy theory in existence in complete and utter garbage

Well to state the obvious.

99% of conspiracy theories are complete,and utter garbage.

If people are so insecure in their beliefs ?

That isn't on ATS or NLBS.

Neither one say anyone has to agree with opinions on here.
edit on 4-2-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: JessicaRabbitTx

They used to have the conspiracy chicks when I first joined.

link   
Maybe we could have the option to opt out and not see it? Or will that require the silver and golden liners.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join