It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Airdrie, Alberta Mass Suicide Conspiracy and Cover-Up

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
YEs I heard about it ,it was breifly in the news I recall
that there was mention of cult
but thats all I can remember of the story sorry

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Umbrax

I recall this very vividly as I went to high school with a couple of the teens who committed suicide. I am now a Psychiatric Nursing student, and I hope to find some information on this tragedy to share with my class.

posted on Nov, 1 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by truthseekin

I grew up and live in Airdrie still, and was in high school when the suicides happened. It wasn't 14 kids - it was 4, and there were some rumours about a "suicide pact" and nothing to do with the song you are talking about. I remember the event clearly, being that our school was put on suicide watch and being a small town, knew people who knew the kids. I'm pretty sure that one of the four didn't even know the other three. Hardly a psyop, just some hurting kids who found each other and thought that that was their only option.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I went to high school in Airdrie from 1998-2001. It was the hardest thing to have to deal with losing your friends and not knowing who would be the next to go... I think this story should be left alone.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I grew up in a small Western Australian Farming community and there was a cluster of suicides there back around 1984-1986 mostly teens and they all seemed normal to me, I knew them all...or thought I did.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I remember it very well. Parents down in Lethbridge were worried about their own children too, thinking it went further than Airdrie via the internet. I remember feeling incredibly saddened by the whole story.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I don't recall this story. I live in BC.

I tried a search and couldn't find anything about this story.

I do recall where I live, there were some students who committed suicide around the same time period prior to 1995. One hung himself in the school yard after school hours. He lived on our street, so my kids had told me. At the time I knew a lady who worked at the school and she mentioned the suicides were quickly covered up. They didn't want people (other parents) to know about it.

[edit on 2-2-2009 by violet]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   

I just happened to come across this article while looking for information on a shooting that happened in airdrie yesterday. i have lived here my entire like and the mass suicide makes sence, when i was in elementary so a few years ago i'm 17 now. St. martin de porres, a school in airdrie got the nickname suicide high. I know of one suicide for sure that a boy was apparently listening to a goo goo dolls Cd in his walkman while walking down the train tracks. it was reported suicide but commen sence adds it up especially when the train was continuosly sounding their horns.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Yes, this happened. I don't remember how many kids where involved.

There was also another cluster in Lethbridge.

There was more to this than was reported, but not what you think. I used to know some people who knew about what was happening, and I remember talking to them about it.......I'm going to have to see if I can remember .....

I seem to recall there was an adult involved with all of the kids in Lethbridge, and they were never identified as having anything to do with it.

I'll see if I can drag something out of my head about this..

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Yes, this happened. I don't remember how many kids where involved.

There was also another cluster in Lethbridge.

There was more to this than was reported, but not what you think. I used to know some people who knew about what was happening, and I remember talking to them about it.......I'm going to have to see if I can remember .....

I seem to recall there was an adult involved with all of the kids in Lethbridge, and they were never identified as having anything to do with it.

I'll see if I can drag something out of my head about this..

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
It was the Lethbridge crowd that was accused of the cult, not so much the Airdrie grouping.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

The problem is, as bleek as it sounds, the government and law enforcement in general don't care about Natives enough to investigate the matter. When my cousins were murdered by white supremasists, they barely took any action all.
Why would a government that killed a race they made an institution on want to save the people that make them feel guilt, or go against the hypocricy of their own immigration policy? It's kind of a bury our sins in their rotting bones approach.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I have not found anything really specific about the Airdrie suicides but my research has revealed that there seems to have been a lot of mass suicides occurring between 1994 and 1999 all over the world.

I wonder what was going on during that time that so many people in so many places were affected.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

Sertraline hydrochloride (trade names Zoloft, Lustral) is an antidepressant of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) class. It was introduced to the market by Pfizer in 1991.

I wouldn't be surprised if this had something to do with it. Setraline aka Zoloft is known to worsen suicidal symptoms (when they put me on that crap, it sure as hell didn't help). The drug was relatively new at the time so I would not be surprised at all if it was released without the psychiatrists having any idea at the time their patients would start killing themselves from not being monitored properly.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by NativeAmerican

Sertraline hydrochloride (trade names Zoloft, Lustral) is an antidepressant of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) class. It was introduced to the market by Pfizer in 1991.

I wouldn't be surprised if this had something to do with it. Setraline aka Zoloft is known to worsen suicidal symptoms (when they put me on that crap, it sure as hell didn't help). The drug was relatively new at the time so I would not be surprised at all if it was released without the psychiatrists having any idea at the time their patients would start killing themselves from not being monitored properly.

I would think that would explain an increase in individual suicides but the suicides that I reference were "mass" suicides.

They shared a location and a time frame even if they did not know each other and in some case they did know each other.

Many of these mass suicides took place in third world countries were I do not believe they would have had access to those particular drugs.

It is a mystery to me.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   

I cannot accurately explain the third world country aspect of these mass suicides as I have not spent the time diving into the matter. As far as the "mass" part of the suicides, that is not really that hard to find an explanation for. When sick minded individuals are brought together they live out their sick minded fantasies. This is evident in certain types of serial killings, as well as school shootings like Columbine. Then there is always the cult aspect. Heaven's Gate is proof that just about anyone can be brainwashed to believe anything. Though I have reason to believe that the people specifically targeted for Heaven's Gate were weak minded, and not too intellectual individuals. The perfect target for an idiot thinking himself some type of Prophet.

[edit on 4-2-2009 by NativeAmerican]

posted on Feb, 20 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I went to the school, was in the grades and classes of some of the kids. Three were from one school, one was from another.

There were only four. There were suicide watches for kids that were very close to the deceased.

Here's the low-down. There was a rumor of Wicca, and it was blown out of proportion in the media. I knew the kids, attended their funerals. It was NOT a consipracy, and it's not something that will be soon-forgotten.

posted on Oct, 10 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
For anyone who still cares, as the original thread was posted forever ago:

I went to high school in Airdrie when this happened and was in the same grade as the students that committed suicide. I only knew one of them because most of them went to the catholic school. There was a "cult" of sorts, however it was more of a pact, and it wasn't a big scary massive conspiracy that involved the entire community. There were something like 12 students involved and to the best of my memory the deal was that if one of them killed themselves then the rest of them had to follow suit one at a time one per month for 12 months. It lasted for 3 months and ended in March my friend was hospitalized and not allowed to follow through with the pact. It wasn't something majorly covered up and the catholic school is still referred to as "suicide high" some of the time. I've never heard anything about a connection to the song Iris, and coincidentally at the same time the pact was being carried out (or shortly thereafter), there were 2 unrelated suicides and a few years after the incident there was another unrelated Airdrie suicide but the latter three have nothing whatsoever to do with the pact. Hope this sheds a little light on the whole incident.

posted on Apr, 22 2024 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I went to the highschool where 3/4 of the kids died. I was in the same grade as two of them. The brother of the 3rd was also in my grade. This was a small highschool in a small town (it has since tripled in size akd isn't quite so small). There were like 30 kids in my graduating class.

I was friends with the first of the four to die. This is probably where OP gets the Iris connection from... he did like the song, they played it at his memorial. It never came up after that.

There were at least two other attempted suicides amongst kids in my grade. That's probably why OP has inflated numbers.

There were runours of a suicide pact. If one existed, the two who attempted (one of whom was a good friend) did not acknowledge it widely enough that I ever got answers.

There were some two-four year later suicides and suicide attempts from the same population. These were 100% not connected to any pact or cult. I have solid understandings of what went into those ones. I don't know if that would also have caused OP to inflate numbers.

What I do know is that this set of suicides planted a seed of suicidal tendency in me. I never attempted, but thoughts and planning and wishes were common. It took nearly 20 years to return to "get better", where the duration between such thoughts is so long and such thoughts are so weak that I can say the chance of me committing suicide within the next little while is literally 0%. Not 0.0001%. 0%. Suicide clusters are a real phenomenon. That is scary. But a conspiracy it is not... just nature.

I'm posting now because every now and then I go searching for answers on what happened so many years ago and there are never any. This thread is always near the top. I guess others who were close to the events might come looking too.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join