It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MAMMOGRAMS Now Recommended Starting at Age 40 - Instead of Age 50.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2023 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043
a reply to: carewemust

I am glad that this is becoming an issue, I hated mammograms, all my life ever year I hate that day to get one.

I call the machine a female torture machine, where you breast is pancake into oblivion.

Yes males that are under female hormones are now coming down with breast cancer too, the numbers has increased in the last decade.

But, I found the hard way that mamos save lives, yep is saving mine, a month ago I had my yearly, something suspicious was found, yep I got the horrible painful biopsy, two of them, to add to the already 3 I had in my left breast, all benign.

But no this time, this time in my left breast was cancer cells found, thankfully soo early that I am considered stage 0 and will not need radiation if I remove the breast.

Breast cancer is a leading cause of dead among women these days, yes, it is, I am waiting for my surgery any day, I will have double mastectomy and reconstruction after.

Mamos save lives, is not joke, I also had the DNA test done for markers for cancer and it came back negative.

THANK GOD your malignancy was found very early on!

What's a shame is how many BILLIONS of dollars, over DECADES of time, have been directed at specifically CURING BREAST CANCER...Yet it is still a prolific killer.

Back when my children were young and playing sports, there was a month every year where we (parents) had to buy pink socks for the players and wear pink arm bands to the games, in support of "Curing Breast Cancer". That was years ago.

posted on May, 10 2023 @ 12:56 AM
link   
unfortunately, this type of cancer runs in my family, but i have been blessed to have small breasts so it could be obvious if something is wrong heh

posted on May, 10 2023 @ 08:22 AM
link   
In the town I live in, the cancer awareness month is well celebrated with all kind of activities, from walkathons like woke in her shoes, to the local main hospital offering free screenings to those that cannot afford them.

Yes I am lucky to have a big regional cancer center in my town.

For some reason cancer went from just somebody that knew somebody to knowing somebody myself or many and having cancer now. Several members in my family died from cancer, but I am the first to have it in my breast.

Is not joke, been environmental or no, cancer will affect us individually more personally than ever.

To think I use be sarcastic calling a money-making scam.

posted on May, 10 2023 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

originally posted by: quintessentone
With all the microplastics getting into our bodies it just makes good sense to get checked for disease earlier, especially for the upcoming generations who will ultimately have higher amounts of poisons, toxins, hormone disruptors, and who knows what else causing havoc and horror with their bio.

As a child in the 1970's, I vividly remember the huge emotional movement to clean up the AIR, the WATER, the Soil where factories once were, the Beaches, and the local Michigan community where I grew up.

Was pollution removal a failure, after so much effort and expenditure?

I remember some of those days. I recall mercury poisoning, ozone depletion, industries spilling their chemicals into our drinking water, air pollution. Earth Day was created in 1970.

We now have man-made poisons to deal with: read on.

www.precisionnutrition.com...

posted on May, 10 2023 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

I remember too, the mercury, my lord I remember my brother and I braking glass thermometers just to play with the mercury inside, wow we come a long way.

I ask my oncology if my cancer is environmental, after all I was a young bride living in Camp Lejune when the water poisoning was going on.

I will be pursuing this further.

posted on May, 10 2023 @ 08:41 AM
link   

I remember too, the mercury, my lord I remember my brother and I braking glass thermometers just to play with the mercury inside, wow we come a long way.

I ask my oncology if my cancer is environmental, after all I was a young bride living in Camp Lejune when the water poisoning was going on.

Wow, we played with the mercury from thermometers too, but nobody told us not to.

posted on May, 10 2023 @ 10:47 AM
link   

I think that it's a treatable condition and catching it early is necessary (and yes, men get them as well. It's less common but does occur.) I personally dislike them but understand the reason behind it, particularly if there's a family history of cancer.

Although the number of cases and death and disability rates from breast cancer seem to be declining, it looks like the stats are very poorly collected here in the US. One source I noted said that one in eight women will have a tumor at some point in their lives.

But the real reason behind the drive seems to be the findings of the American Cancer Research Group (here on PubMed). It shows that overall breast cancer rates are declining EXCEPT for Alaskan Native Americans. Blacks are at higher ristk for breast cancer (and because of poverty or lack of available medical facilities in some areas... like TheMiddleOfNowhere, Louisiana) and there needs to be an increased awareness here to save these women from this horrible disease.

But why lowering it to 40? Turns out that these early cancers are going undetected in all women and they're dying at twice the rate of older women with breast cancer.

So it makes sense. It's uncomfortable, annoying, and all that, but cheap compared to surgery and reconstruction and/or chemo and the pain and disruption of personal and family lives along with everything else.

posted on May, 10 2023 @ 10:51 AM
link   

If you were at LeJune, yes, the cancer is likely environmental. Here's a bit of info on this

There's a lot of lawyers on the case; you can join a class action lawsuit (so you won't have to pay a lawyer) under certain conditions.

I hope that's helpful and wish you the best of luck.

posted on May, 10 2023 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

I am finding out by my experience that in many states' insurance have to cover up for the expenses of treating cancer after diagnostic, Also I was more surprised that reconstruction surgery after mastectomy is mandatory.

Soo far I am getting the best treatment and will have reconstruction immediately after my main surgery all cover by insurance.

This is something I was no aware off before the diagnosis actually my husband and I were trying to figure out how much plastic surgery was going to be, but now I am just very happy.

Before all this ordeal, I was very adamant about mamos and how early they were given, now I see they are worth it.
edit on 10-5-2023 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2023 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Men get breast cancer and have for many years. The reason it isn't "recommended" for them to have a mammogram procedure is because they don't have the type of breast tissue that the procedure would work for. That's not to say they shouldn't perform self examinations.

According to the Mayo Clinic:

Everyone is born with a small amount of breast tissue. Breast tissue consists of milk-producing glands (lobules), ducts that carry milk to the nipples, and fat.

During puberty, women begin developing more breast tissue, and men do not. But because men are born with a small amount of breast tissue, they can develop breast cancer.

Types of breast cancer diagnosed in men include:

Cancer that begins in the milk ducts (ductal carcinoma). Nearly all male breast cancer is ductal carcinoma.
Cancer that begins in the milk-producing glands (lobular carcinoma). This type is rare in men because they have few lobules in their breast tissue.

Other types of cancer.
Other, rarer types of breast cancer that can occur in men include Paget's disease of the nipple and inflammatory breast cancer.

Inherited genes that increase breast cancer risk
Some men inherit abnormal (mutated) genes from their parents that increase the risk of breast cancer. Mutations in one of several genes, especially a gene called BRCA2, put you at greater risk of developing breast and prostate cancers.

If you have a strong family history of cancer, discuss this with your doctor. Your doctor may recommend that you meet with a genetic counselor in order to consider genetic testing to see if you carry genes that increase your risk of cancer.

I blame the increased male breast cancer rates on the increased soybean products that have infiltrated so many things. But for the record, male breast cancer has always been a 'thing'.

posted on May, 10 2023 @ 08:50 PM
link   

40 now, you say they're howling?

Still skipping. I'll cross that particular bridge if & when I set foot there. I approach pap smears the same way, & yes, there's family histories (lung, breast, ovarian, stomach, colon -- basically any point between mouth & ass is my Roulette Wheel)

That's more # to be paranoid over than I have the GAF for, as glib as it is.
edit on 5/10/2023 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2023 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Thanks for the link, Byrd, my husband and I have not done anything yet because I am still under the military health care and that is what is mostly offered to victims of the water contamination.

Also we were advised by a friend that we should get our own lawyer and not join some group law sue, my daughter in law is a lawyer in Florida soo we are looking into getting some advice from her on how to proceed.

posted on May, 10 2023 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

My daughter is also approaching 40 in a few years, she is already looking to get the genetic test done and to get her second mamo, she already have one when she found a small lump in her breast and it was benign no biopsy needed, she Inherited my dense type of breast.

I advised her to just get removal and reconstruction soo she will no have to get all the troubles I been having since I started to get mamos, 5 biopsies is a lot of pocking and picking until last one just hit the jackpot of cancer.

This no fun, lost of stress, worries and waiting.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join