It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

HELP! Anyone familiar with Zoom?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Hello people's.
I have a class due to start in less than an hour and even though my camera is working I'm just getting a black screen with a camera and a slash logo thing.
When I turn off the camera, my profile picture shows up.
Thanking anyone in advance who can help me!
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 01:51 PM
link   
well the camera is obviously not working ?
Maybe try in settings and make sure it sees your camera, then maybe see if oyu need to update drivers or something?

a reply to: angelchemuel

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 01:52 PM
link   

zoom trouble shoot Lenovo laptops

This was specific for Lenovo laptops , but may work for others .

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: angelchemuel
Hello people's.
I have a class due to start in less than an hour and even though my camera is working I'm just getting a black screen with a camera and a slash logo thing.
When I turn off the camera, my profile picture shows up.
Thanking anyone in advance who can help me!
Rainbows
Jane

Was it working recently?

Laptop/integrated webcam? Windows (10? 11?), Mac, or... ?

Try rebooting...

If this is Windows...

Windows just updated itself, and is notorious for driver updates gone bad, so if this is Windows, try rolling the driver back to the previous version. If that doesn't work you could also try a System Restore to a very recent Restore Point. Google for specific instructions or I'm happy to help once I know which version you have.

Good luck...

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 02:15 PM
link   

I'm familiar with avoiding it at all costs.

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany
Done that

Showing no issue.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog
Mines an Asus.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl
Thank you.
I'm on Windows 10.
Zoom bot suggested uninstalling then re-installing zoom
Would that be any good?
I tried doing my class via Messenger video call.... but same result: camera light on, speakers and microphone working, but no Jane!!!
I have no idea how to "roll the driver back to previous version. But, I have done a system restore in the past, but never on my current laptop. Not sure where to find it either. Total technophobe here I'm afraid.
Any help greatly appreciated as I've had to postpone this class now and I have a different class scheduled for tomorrow night and Thursday night, so I need this camera working!
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: MykeNukem
That made me laugh Mike

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Hi Jane, it's never easy or quick to fix built in webcams.

As you have an urgency, you can use your cell phone as a makeshift webcam.

I don't know what you have, but here are instructions for:

Android - geekflare.com...

Or

IPhone - www.fineshare.com... lSf8LmEaAoLaEALw_wcB

Hope that works as a temporary fix.

ETA: I'm going to ask a silly question, but it's something that has caught out many people. Many laptops have a sliding shutter for the webcam; it's meant for privacy. check to see if your PC has one... I've seen them inadvertently slid to the "cover position" when cleaning/wiping down the screen.

edit on 13/3/2023 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Did you grant the app access to your camera and microphone? It usually asks the first time using it. If you have a pop up blocker, it may not have been able to prompt you.

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: peter_kandra

Yes, that's a possibility, too.

I often troubleshoot faulty webcams with Skype for Business. Once installed, the configuration options has two sections for testing both audio in/out and the webcam to assist placement.

Or, as we use Webex at work, I send people the link to that platform's test meeting. Again, it's great to make sure everything works and allows people to get used to the interface.

www.webex.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Thank you guys for all your help!
Now for a giggle. I contacted Microsoft support.... go me!.... turns out there's a little key on my keyboard which disables the viewing ability of the camera..... who knew?.... thank you Microsoft!
Now it's working..... but I also know now what happened..... here's the giggle.....
My daughter was in hospital yesterday giving birth to my second grandchild. I was looking after my grandson (her son) and he was watching Land Before Time on my laptop while I prepared his lunch, he's not long turned 2 years old. The little tinker had managed to reach my laptop and was busy pressing keys!!! Nothing looked untoward..... until my zoom call with students tonight.....
Anyway, got it rescheduled to suit my students on both sides of the Pond! Phew.
One thing's for sure.... I learnt about a new key tonight

Laughing Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Thank you.
I'm on Windows 10.

Sorry for the late response, I had to go on a walk-about...

So, first, try the Camera App and see if it works there:

Start > type 'Camera' (minus the quotes) and launch it and see if it works.

If so, next question: are you using the Zoom Desktop application, or just using a web browser?

If you're using a web browser, newer versions of all web browsers require you to grant permissions to the camera and mic. It usually does this the first time you try to access it.

If you're using a browser, which browser (they each manage these permissions in different places)?

Zoom bot suggested uninstalling then re-installing zoom

Unlikely, but possible...

Would that be any good?
I tried doing my class via Messenger video call.... but same result: camera light on, speakers and microphone working, but no Jane!!!

Suggests it isn't a Zoom issue...

Never used Messenger (had to google it even)... but it may require explicit permissions too.

Weird... I've never had a problem with a URL before, but this won't linkify...

Anyway, here is a link to Microsofts support site for how to manage permissions for your camera and mic in Windows, and for Apps:

support.microsoft.com...

I have no idea how to "roll the driver back to previous version.

Ok, click on the Start menu/button, type 'drivers' (minus the quotes), click on 'Device Manager', then find your camera - for integrated laptop cameras it is usually under 'Cameras', expand it, then right-click on your camera, click 'Properties', then click the Drivers tab, and see if the button to 'Roll Back Driver' is available or greyed out. If it is available, click it and follow the prompts to roll it back.

But, I have done a system restore in the past, but never on my current laptop. Not sure where to find it either. Total technophobe here I'm afraid.

No worries...

Click the Start Menu/Button, type 'system restore' (minus t he quotes), click on 'Recovery', click on 'Open System Restore', click 'Next', select the desired restore point (would need to be the one created when it updated the driver or before), then just follow the prompts.

Any help greatly appreciated as I've had to postpone this class now and I have a different class scheduled for tomorrow night and Thursday night, so I need this camera working!

Worst case scenario, you can use Zoom on your phone, so, as a backup, in case there is something physically wrong with your camera, I'd go ahead and install Zoom on your phone so you can use that...

Then, if you figure out that your webcam is bad, you can just disable it (and your Mic), and get a USB webcam/mic that will mount on top of your laptop (I can recommend some good ones if it comes to that).

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 04:19 PM
link   

a reply to: Gothmog
Mines an Asus.
Rainbows
Jane

Windows is Windows is Windows

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 06:00 PM
link   
You must have been writing your very helpful reply while I was posting a comment above yours.
All sorted now.
Thank you
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 13 2023 @ 08:25 PM
link   

You must have been writing your very helpful reply while I was posting a comment above yours.
All sorted now.
Thank you

Glad you got it sorted!

posted on Mar, 15 2023 @ 02:07 AM
link   
My cats do it at midnight. The cat-r 500

top topics

join